Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:40 PM   #1
Default What do you think now?

Still trying to represent my wife's creations to a worthiness that eludes me. One of the most common feedbacks, replies, people give to her is the bead is way better in person, than on her site.....arg.

These lil' guys are hard to get, so many different colors, textures, layers, etc, and trying to bring forth color without any reflection of the clear glass seems impossible!

I'll post these 3 (of the same bead) and perhaps you guys can give me some help. Other than that, it doesn't seem like my lack of skill is hurting her sales, this bead didn't stay listed (it was bought) on her site for the time it took me to photograph it, edit, and publish it to her store.

Thanks....oh, BTW, this Owl bead was named Queen Aurora ....I do copy writing for her too

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:48 PM   #2

these are much better than you have posted before although you may not be aware in image two you have caught the colours with hardly no light reflection and in image 3 you have the light reflection that fetches the colours out even more which to me works very well and if possible i would continue to one shot of each aswell as the headshot
Nikon D600 / Nikon 50 1.8 G / Nikon 85 1.8 G Always wanting more! MY FLICKR
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:58 AM   #3

Came across this older post, maybe you have found a way by now

But if not look up "dark field" and "bright field" photography on Google, or described in the rather good book on Lighting: Light Science and Magic
They are methods most often used to shoot glass and other very reflective objects.
Shiny objects are all about controling the family of reflections angles.

Here is one link.

Good Luck!

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Feb 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM. Reason: added book URL
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:57 PM   #4

Eddie they ar e good but I do see maybe a bit to much light if maybe you can place some kind of umbrella before the light to diffuse it some... make it a soft pick or yellow or baby blue it might calm down some of the lighting... Remembering some things said when I was younger and we had photos done at the Olan Mills Studio that use to be in Northgate Mall many years ago....and what was done.... all about lighting of course....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:44 PM   #5

I imagine a CPL wont work because there are too many angles reflecting back.

If you could 'sacrifice' a piece, I wonder if it could be buffed with a fine compound to reduce the glare. When I sharpen my chisels I go through 2000 grit before using a bufing compound. Only the finest compound brings out the mirror finish, so perhaps a slightly more coarse compound would do the trick.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:31 AM   #6

You control the reflection by controlling what gets reflected. If you want a white reflection somewhere then position something white the shape you want. If you dont want it then place something black so nothing gets reflected.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote