Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 21, 2012, 5:39 PM   #1
Default Sally Gap in Wicklow, Ireland

As the weather today was nasty i accepted that i would not get out taking images, but would go scouting for good spots to visit again. While driving i couldnt help but take a few images. Most are not the best, as due to high winds and lack of a tripod i had to push up the ISO to get a reasonably sharp image.

The one image below though came out ok, especially when converted to B&W.

Its the Sally Gap, across the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland. I like the way the mist layers the Mountains nicely, making them fainter as they get into the distance.

Could be Sharper though. Any criticism greatly appreciated.

schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:46 PM   #2

I like the picture. Try playing around with the colors before converting it to to bring out the clouds more. Boost the yellow and reduce the blue, same as using a yellow filter with B&W film.
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:15 PM   #3

Its a great photo. Nothing really to complain about, but it would have been more interesting to look at if there were something more happening in the picture. You have the fence far to the left. Which is good, but nothing more, maybe I would have retaken this picture with the fence showing a bit more, maybe a different angle so the fence comes from the far left in to the middle
Best Regards,
Istvan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:53 PM   #4

Thanks Guys! @Istvan84, I see where you are comming from with your point, but the whole idea was to get a really barren feel to the image. I like how there is a fence, but no sign of another fence for miles. Gives a feel for the vastness and remoteness of the area, and with no trees, how barren it is.

@TOM H in PA: Regarding the colors, the one i settled on( and posted) was photoshops Infrared b&w conversion, with contrasted boosted and greens subtly boosted also. I still think i can find a better way to allow more creativity in conversions to Black & white.
I also need to find a better method to dodge and burn, as the little definition in the sky is a result of a lot of playing around in Photoshop.

If i pushed it further though i started to lose the subtle layering effect of the mountains getting fainter and fainter as they fall into the distance.

Thanks again for the kind words guys.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:28 PM   #5

Great shot

Love the comp of this shot.

Only thing that comes to mind is i wouldnt mind seeing the shot with the blacks being a bit harsher. WIth a shot like this i think it could handle it.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote