Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Default CD Stack

Hi all,

How does one gauge whether one's photos are interesting enough? These are a couple of pics I took at home of a stack of CDs with the sunlight streaming in through the window. Which one is better & why, or are they both just average?

Last edited by kidrow; Mar 3, 2012 at 2:59 AM.
kidrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:59 AM   #2

Originally Posted by kidrow View Post
How does one gauge whether one's photos are interesting enough?
If you like them, they are interesting enough. But if you want a wider acceptance of the photos there are some tried and true approaches to avoid the 'snapshot' appearance of common 'look where we are' photos.

In this case you are going artsy on us, and that can break all the rules but at the same time diminish the number of people that appreciate it. Which brings us right back to the first comment.

Having said all that, the pattern given by the cds could be interesting but personally I'd like to see more light coming through them, say having a light source directly behind the stack, closer to what you have in the second photo but more so.

Last edited by iowa_jim; Feb 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

It's kinda reassuring to know that it's ok if no one else finds your photos interesting enough. I'm a bit bothered when those around me really don't react [either positively or negatively] to any of my photos.

Ofc, it could be either poor photographic skills, or choice of subject matter which is the cause for such a reaction, or lack thereof. Right now, I'm just photographing objects at home, which I find interesting for some reason. I'm also in the process of learning the technical aspects of photography & composition. So maybe when I read stuff about patterns, shapes, lines etc. I tend to seek that in my photos, rather than look for 'interesting' subject matter first.

& maybe that'll change after I've upped my knowledge. & maybe it won't. Maybe I'll keep shooting stuff that isn't very popular, & still get no reaction.

At the end of the day, I thank you for your comment because it's helped put things into perspective for me. Whether intended or not, many thanks.
kidrow is offline   Reply With Quote