Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:53 PM   #1
Default Various Pix from recent cruise

Appreciate any constructive criticism of these pictures from my recent cruise. It was my first real time to work with my Sony 580
Attached Images
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:46 PM   #2

Hello Outhouse...I have to warn you in advance, I don't sugarcoat it!

1st pic: Composition not ideal. Too close to your subject. You could've captured the reflection of the lighthouse in the water with a shorter focal length. Also, the structure of the tower looks blown-out.

2nd pic: Underexposed. The other elements in the photo are distracting from the main subject.

3d pic: Beautiful. Well executed. The only true "photo" in your series, the rest are just vacation snapshots.

4th pic: My eyes are confused. What's your subject? Too much stuff going on in the background.

5th pic: That bush on the right ruins the overall image.
Sony α
Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3

Criticism, given fairly only serves as a teaching tool. None of these pics have received any port processing. The first pic was taken from a moving ship as we pulled from the harbor. The sun was coming and going behind clouds. The next three pics were taken at Beauchart Gardens in Victoria BC is cloudy misting conditions. The one you liked was number 4 of about 10 tries using my pano mode. I liked the lone tulip because surrounding it were rows upon rows of similar tulips and this one just caught my eye. The last pic was taken from Stanley Park in Vancouver and I thought the tree added a unque ending to the pano. Guess I was wrong. Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:15 AM   #4

I second Marawder's comments. Specially the 5th Pic . I Liked the panoramic view but we could lose the bushes.
mainak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:50 AM   #5

For the most part, I share Marawder's views. However, I like the first one better. It's not great art, but it is certainly a competent snapshot of the scene, with the two boats adding elements of interest. One big problem with the rest of the photos is that they are SOOC. There is no virtue in failing to post process photos that need post processing. The underexposure of the second photo could easily be corrected, so why not correct it? Unfortunately, the insufficient depth of field is pretty irredeemable. Close down the aperture when taking close-ups, and use a tripod to allow the necessary shutter time to get the shot. The third shot is a keeper. Well done. The fourth shot needs to be straightened. If you were thinking of the drunken angle as artistic, you were wrong. If you were just not paying attention to the background when you shot, that's why God created PhotoShop. On the last photo, I am less distracted by the bush than the others seem to be. I'm just kind of indifferent to generic city skyline shots. So I don't find it particularly compelling, but it isn't off-putting, either. If the city view holds special memories for you, it may well be a special shot to you. It just seems like every other skyline to me, though. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Again, I appreciate all comments, so for those that did respond, thanks. I check this particular section a couple times a day trying to learn.