Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:44 PM   #1
Default Daughter at the beach

This is my adopted daughter at the beach. I like the gentleness of the photo.

I like the reflection of her in the water.

She wanted her photo taken in that dress in the middle of the day. It was difficult with so much direct light.

f 4.5

Please comment.
Attached Images
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:49 PM   #2
Default Both my daughters

I couldn't pass up sharing this one as well.

Noon time sun

I thought about making the ocean blue-er, but the Atlantic ocean isn't blue. So I left it alone. Is that a bad idea?

Faithfully Yours,
Attached Images
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:43 PM   #3

The first picture is one a parent would like but not the subject you made her look like a little girl which is the way most of us always see our kids. No young lady wants to be seen or thought of as a little girl. The second picture, I would leave the water alone and add a little blue to the sky.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:25 PM   #4

I kinda like them... though a shame the first is a tad soft and the second one's horizon would be better straight (was this deliberate ?) in my opinion.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:39 PM   #5

Hi Simon,

If I leveled the horizon, the girl in black would be tilted backwards a bit. I was shooting at an angle trying to manage the sun in one direction and the wind blowing in another. So the angle of the ocean gave way to the girl standing straight.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:13 AM   #6

My suggestion would be to convert the first to black and white and find a place on the wall for it.

umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:11 PM   #7

The details in the subjects are a bit "muddy", perhaps because they're not exposed quite as bright as they should be, as compared to the brighter background (sky, etc.).

I can't tell what settings were used with the camera to make any technical suggestions, since the photos were resized and/or recompressed by the forums software (which can also degrade images).with the EXIF metadata stripped out (which is what the forums software does if you try to attach images that are larger than allowed).

To prevent that, the longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired) and strip out the Exif Metadata containing camera settings.

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using); and make it more difficult for members to suggest different camera settings to make the images better.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote