Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:33 PM   #11

Default full horn pull back

For the yr book, if she chooses, maybe I can use the one of her sitting. I'm just worried about the very straight posture, curvy bottom, and onced cropped if it would be distracting to have sink showing towards bottom of horn, because of the short dress.

Thanks for any suggestions and critiques.
Attached Images

Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:28 PM   #12

She is a pretty girl with lovely hair and there is nothing wrong with a curvy bottom.
I don't know what a year book is, please enlighten me, but if it's to "promote" herself then the second photo on your first post would be suitable for a cover.
I am not a fashion expert but I don't think a black background with a basically black dress go together. Change the background or the dress and perhaps slightly less formal.
The photo of her leaning against the wall I like but get her dressed in casual clothes take her outside put her against a stone wall the trumpet above horizontal, the sun shining on her hair and photograph her from her left side so that more of her face can be seen.
I hope that has been some help.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:41 PM   #13

The shot with her head turned is one she should be very happy with. Nice work, and the warmer tone of the shot helps as well. Her arm is her arm and really isn't a problem unless you are trying to make her look like Calista Flockhart (is that the name I'm looking for?), which isn't going to happen, and just as well.
Of the last four- the seated shot has the problems you mention, the next is too dark, but the last two are very, very nice. The third would be my favorite, but for the angle of the floor and baseboard. I think the difference is that, just posing with the horn, she is a bit self conscious and it comes through in the photos, but playing is much more natural to her and she seems comfortable with it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:51 PM   #14

Thank you both. All your comments have been very helpful!! I need to build my confidence and find my voice. She was introverted and I felt nervous directing her because of that lack of confidence.

She was going to wear a pink dress and changed wardrobe decision before coming in. ugh...I did want a more dramatic moody yet classic feel...but it didn't work that way.

I struggle w/ full body shots at the studio. I tend to shoot too tight and can't always crop a 8x10 out of those images. :/ I shot at 70mm w/ my 24-70mm lens on my Nikon D90. Can I achieve full body w/ this gear in that setting? I too hate the angle on the 3rd image.

Mito, a year book is a collection of portraits from the high school graduating class.

Thanks for all your time!

Jen
Wink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:29 AM   #15

Just a thought, if you are nervous you'll transmit that to her. Try taking her out of the studio with some friends of hers and get some shots. Don't worry if they're in the shots, they can be cropped out later. Get her "high" on something she enjoys, music, talking or whatever and watch her personallity come out. Then shoot!

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:07 PM   #16

I likethe longer bodyshot where the horn can be seen resting on her dress. I would however crop out the room above her head in that one. I actually like how the dress hits her leg and a little skin shows. For me that adds to the shot especially since she is a teenager, but I also like how professional and nice she looks in that dress. All the different elements of her smile, hair , the horn shown resting on her dress, the skin of her legs etc make that a great portrait shot (just crop out the dead space above her head)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote