Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Samuel Beckett Bridge

Im posting this to see if anyone has any ideas on how to improve it next time i shoot it. I have quite a few things i want to rectify but if anyone has anything to add let me know, as id like it to be as perfect as possible 2nd time around.

My list of things to improve are:

1. wider angle. stand back a bit so i get all of the anchor points where the cables anchor into the ground.

2. take image during the blue hour, with a clear sky ( it was overcast and misty during this which gave awful orange light polluted skies.

3. go color. if its a clear night i wont get those horrible orange skies, and if i obey step 2, take during the blue hour.

4. lower the ISO further. this is at 250 and i think, along with points 2 & 3, lower ISO will give a sharper, smoother, less noisy image.

Thanks!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:51 PM   #2

Lowering the iso is always a good idea- especially as you're doing a long exposure anyway.
Maybe shoot RAW also to give you as much colour/WB adjustments post shot.
Blue hour/colour shot would be good- maybe even an HDR...! (did I just say that...!!!)
Indeed a wider angle might be favorable- though without being there we'll have to take your word for that...!
Nice structure however and I like the viewpoint- though maybe a touch more of the road at the bottom of the shot..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:48 AM   #3

I notice on the right side that the supports seem to follow the rooflines of the buildings in the corner almost exactly. The contoured curve in the center right seems to flow right into the circular lights of that building.

The starbursts on the left make the more rectangular building seem to belong to the main feature.

I'd like to see a little more space between the support rods on the right, but it seems like if you moved anywhere it would change so many of those little details and crowd some of the interesting lines out of the image.

I'd be really careful not to lose anything. I'd be worried I'd lose the spacing of all those vertical rods.

I think the B&W works. Maybe a bit sharper at the ground level, but I think that is more a glare from those lights. It might look perfect if larger than I see on my screen. I'm not sure about color, I like this in B&W.

Even the window in the left building fits the curve of the support.

I'd probably go another direction than try to really improve on that particular shot. Maybe on-site it's more apparent, but I'm not seeing how to change position and maintain those lines. They are so close to perfect the way they are.

Everything is framed within the structure, with very, very few distractions. I'd have a hard time duplicating that composition, let alone improving it. All that's missing is a little starburst in the light at the top to match the trail of them at the bottom.

A couple steps right or left, forward or back and everything changes. I think I'd leave it alone.

Good Luck, Les
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Hi pals..
I'll be happy to add that the buildings on the right and the left will make the picture unique when they are hidden!!
Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@SIMON40 - I always shoot raw, and this was no exception.
i think your describing at getting even lower with the camera, to get more road in the foreground, which is possible and worth trying out, good idea.

@Magnet - I would love to cut the buildings out, at least on the left, but the location doesnt allow that. there isnt enough curve in the bridge to hide them with a lower angle, and if i move left or right i lose the lines of the cables.

@BBbuilder467 - You might be right about matching the starburst from the light on top of the bridge.

Thanks for the feedback all!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:13 PM   #6

I'm not a fan of B&W but I really like this one.
It would be nice to see it in colour for comparison, not sure that a wider angle would be an improvement.
blkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:50 AM   #7

Good shot, only thing I could think to do is try shooting from different view points.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Magnet - I would love to cut the buildings out, at least on the left, but the location doesnt allow that. there isnt enough curve in the bridge to hide them with a lower angle, and if i move left or right i lose the lines of the cables.

Thanks for the feedback all!
no need to prove proofs..
You are so great pal..I thought you may have a way to cut them using photoshop or other programmes...Your pic is amazing..I like it!!
Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote