Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 23, 2013, 8:30 PM   #1
Default Overexposed Images

I have a few travel pictures here shot on 35mm which I think are overexposed to various degrees. I am considering re-processing the images at a different exposure in order to get more detail/less blow outs in the highlights - but would appreciate your thoughts on how many stops you think I have overexposed the images, so I know how to correct them with the re-processing. Any comments are much appreciated.

*These are just low quality scans, but the exposure levels are still accurate to the negs.

Last edited by bootsydan; Apr 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM.
bootsydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Hey Tim:

You used img tags around links to web pages, not around the direct links to the actual images (.jpg files) on those pages. That's why no photos are showing up in your post.

If you click on the Edit Button under your post, then click on the button, you'll be able to see the embedded code in your post.

You'll need to change it so that you're pointing to the actual image files you want members to see, whereas your existing post is only pointing to the web pages they're being displayed on.

For example, this is the page the first image is located on that you wanted members to see:

That's not an image file. That's a web page.

The actual image file being displayed on that page is this one:

So, that's what you'd need to use when you insert an image in a post here (which you can do by using [img] in front of the link and [/img] after the link. Then, you'd get this:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:43 AM   #3

Sorry about that, have fixed it now.
bootsydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:12 PM   #4

Are th originals raw or jpg? If they are raw you will have a fair bit of wiggle room to reclaim detail feom over exposed areas, if they are jog, you lose a lot of that.

If you have raw files, with photo raw, make 2 copies of each, one with detail brought back in the highlights, one with detail in the highlights. Then openboth in photoshop, with one as a masking layer, say the one exposed for highlights, and paint in your highlights.

If you only have jpgs, open the Joey in photoshop, make a copy of the layer. On one copy open the control to allow you to brighten shadows/ darken highlights. Brighten shadows on one layer, darken highlights on the other. Then make one a layer mask, and paint in the relevant parts.

You will need to play with the controls to figure out how much detail you can reclaim.

Last edited by schmintan; Apr 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 6:50 AM   #5

Nice photo of village. in this frame church looks very beautiful into this frame

Last edited by ibecamewe; May 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM.
ibecamewe is offline   Reply With Quote