Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 3, 2013, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Cityscape HDR photo critique please?

I'm pursuing HDR photography at the moment.. and I got this picture on one of my photoshoots... can you please critique this and tell me if the HDR is too surreal and unattractive or if the photo is interesting and I have potential? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Sandzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2013, 3:23 PM   #2

The main thing that sticks out a me is it all the buildings seem to be ever so slightly out of focus, I think your camera may have moved slightly between shots. The other thing that I notice is the black smudge on one of the buildings to the right, doesn't seem like it should be there.

To be positive the looks good as hdr as it is not to unrealistic, my personal preference.

I haven't tried HDR yet, so by no means am an expert. Hope the feedback helps.
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, Wardy.. And you are right, I was balancing the camera on the balcony rails and the wind was also blowing.. the smudge was camera sensor dust that I have since then managed to get cleaned up.... my intention is that the photographs do not come out too surrealistic and just have enough dynamic range to catch the eye and look pleasant.. and I hope I can achieve that some day...
Old May 14, 2013, 4:46 AM   #4

Im only a fan of HDR when used subtly to make an scene with very high dynamic range look real, as it would be seen via a human.

in this case it looks very fake, sorry to use the word, but "overbaked" is the best term to describe it.

Some people like this style but it adds nothing here really.
Its a nice cityscape and could look very good and realisitc without that garish overcontrast, oversaturated HDR feel, but as said, if you were going for that in your face HDR feel, then it looks ok.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Im only a fan of HDR when used subtly to make an scene with very high dynamic range look real, as it would be seen via a human.

in this case it looks very fake, sorry to use the word, but "overbaked" is the best term to describe it.

Some people like this style but it adds nothing here really.
Its a nice cityscape and could look very good and realisitc without that garish overcontrast, oversaturated HDR feel, but as said, if you were going for that in your face HDR feel, then it looks ok.
Thanks for your feedback, Schmintan! I appreciate it. You are right. Recently, I started going more for the "as seen by a human eye" look, and now every time I visit my old work, I find the earlier HDR photos looking way exaggerated.. I'll post my new photos soon. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Also, I looked at a few of your flickr photos... and I'm still amazed at the snail one. How did you focus so perfectly on the eye?
Old May 20, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6

HDR like any type of PP is good if it conveys the feeling to the viewer that the photographer had intended. Meaning that (IMO) over processed HDR or unnoticeable HDR shots are all good if the do what the photographer was looking for and the viewer see or feels that while viewing the picture. You look to be on a good start with your HDR but maybe a tripod and a less windy day would be of some help too.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandzat View Post
Thanks for your feedback, Schmintan! I appreciate it. You are right. Recently, I started going more for the "as seen by a human eye" look, and now every time I visit my old work, I find the earlier HDR photos looking way exaggerated.. I'll post my new photos soon. Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Also, I looked at a few of your flickr photos... and I'm still amazed at the snail one. How did you focus so perfectly on the eye?

Thanks! for the complement and for taking the feedback in the good way it was intended. I personally love critique on my photos as people see things i didnt otherwise notice.

Thanks for the kind words on my flickr! first time with a new macro lens so there was a bit of a learning curve.

To focus on the eye was very hit and miss as the dof is razor thin. in the end i turned off AutoFocus, Focused roughly on the eye, and turned on burst mode on the camera and just took a lot of shots while slowly moving toward the snail, so the first few shots are not focused on the correct part of the snail, one or two in the middle are ok and the rest are out of focus again. it sounds very hit and miss but its not so bad and i think its a valid technique as long as you are sure to throw away any junk photos you take. Hope that makes sense.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:00 AM   #8

just me personal idea, I don't love the dark sky since the buildings and the ground is not that bright. why not add a little bit more exposure to the cloud?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:34 AM   #9

Without your thoughtful planning and oversight, an undertaking like this would have been nearly impossible.
Some are dreamers, some are talented. You are both. May you achieve more success ahead. Congratulations on this success.
You have very good potential on the Photography.
ibecamewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:27 AM   #10

It does look surreal, whether it's too much or not depends on what you were trying to do.
As for being interesting? As I see it no, it's not that interesting to me but it may be to you and that's what counts.
Everyone has potential to become a master at processing photo's it just depends how hard you work at it. I've been learning for 7 years and feel that I still have a long way to go.
As a positive the clouds look nice. I would tone down the buildings and keep the clouds the same.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote