Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Default Blue Heron at sunset

Recently returned from a campint trip to Cayo Costa State Park in Florida and was playing with a new camera while I was there (TG-830 from Olympus). Took many photos, but this one was my favorite. Curious to see what the wisdom of the group thinks about it.

Photo was taken at ISO 3200, 1/1600 second at F5.9. Post processing was minimal...I tweaked the color balance a touch to cool down the photo a bit (though still keeping the warm light of sunset), applied a bit of noise reduction to remove the grain from the fast ISO and then resized for posting to the forum.

I'm quite impressed at what the little camera is capable of....
Attached Images

caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:40 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The image appears to be very soft (not sure if it is due to some camera shake or being out of focus). Based on the shutter speed of /1600th of a sec, it is probably an out of focus issue. Also, there is a rose colored tint to the image.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:39 AM   #3

Thanks...actually, I had the same feeling about the photo but was wondering if I was just being too critical. The softness I believe came from the DNR (I'll post the original tonight so people can compare if interested). The rose colored light was the actual lighting conditions due to the sunset, so I was on the fence about cleaning that up. I did tone it down a touch, but decided to keep some of the warmth to remind me it was a sunset pick (actually, the sun had set a few minutes prior to the shot).

Craig
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:15 AM   #4

turn OFF image stabilization when 'panning' as it will actually try to compensate for the panning action

personally, I keep 'stab' off always
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:46 PM   #5

Default here's the original image for comparison...

Here's the original photo for comparison to the one I submitted earlier. Only modification was to resize down for the forum requirements. Resizing actually helped tone down the noise, so this may be a better shot. At least, it's sharper

Craig
Attached Images

Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:21 PM   #6

Your last shot is sharper and its also color correct. Your first image has too much magenta in it. Its hard to be critical of a shot like this. Such fast reaction to get any shot at all. This is a good one.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:57 AM   #7

yep - original is nice

whatever you did for posting, don't do again
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote