Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:05 PM   #1

Default Trying out new processing technique

Does this work for you?
I want to present something a little different to the parents and thought outside my box.
Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:29 PM   #2

It works, but the subtleness could easily be lost with any attempt at printing. Therefore, you should perform the hard copy production yourself to ensure fidelity of the result.

Just my advice from mess'n with printers.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:52 PM   #3

Objectivity abandons me when I see a picture of a cute, dimple-cheeked baby. Probably the Dad in me, but I can only simply grin. Nice.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:31 AM   #4

Irregardless of the subject, I would go for accuracy. If you intentionally deviate from that then to what limit? Your photo is very appealing looking more like a B&W than a color image. While I wouldnt do it personally, I like what you have done here. Cudos for your thinking.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
It works, but the subtleness could easily be lost with any attempt at printing. Therefore, you should perform the hard copy production yourself to ensure fidelity of the result.

Just my advice from mess'n with printers.
Great advice! I've had to tweak my WB and exposure with a couple of adjustment prints to get similar results on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Objectivity abandons me when I see a picture of a cute, dimple-cheeked baby. Probably the Dad in me, but I can only simply grin. Nice.
Thanks and well said Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Irregardless of the subject, I would go for accuracy. If you intentionally deviate from that then to what limit? Your photo is very appealing looking more like a B&W than a color image. While I wouldnt do it personally, I like what you have done here. Cudos for your thinking.
I originally thought of going with a simple B&W image. But when attempting to make a pure B&W with a inkjet printer i've noticed some inconsistencies.
It's extremely difficult not to get either a slight green, blue or magenta tint. It's always much more noticeable on larger prints especially when placing them side by side. I believe that's just the nature of a color inkjet printer while trying to print pure B&W. For that reason I attempted to do something that at a glance looks like B&W but is just a desaturated photo with an adjusted WB to leave it looking more like blended sepia/B&W photo. A simple process. The one thing I was happy with at the end was how the eyes kept their color. That was purely accidental.

Thanks for the critique.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:44 AM   #6
NHL

I like the processing, but the original color blueish tint on the eyes do not work for me...
Either don't unmask the eyes or try a different tint, but that just my opinion
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
I like the processing, but the original color blueish tint on the eyes do not work for me...
Either don't unmask the eyes or try a different tint, but that just my opinion
Thanks for your feedback. It really does come down to personal preference. Unfortunately mine is constantly changing. I can't stop tweaking the WB.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:12 PM   #8

I think the processing worked very well. It reminds me of the 50's style photos. Where the photographer would come door to door and do portraits in your living room.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
I think the processing worked very well. It reminds me of the 50's style photos. Where the photographer would come door to door and do portraits in your living room.
Thank you Calicajun.

As a matter of fact I have the 8x10 photo of the three of us boys from the Foremost photo truck. They came knocking on our door back in the 60s and mom had our picture taken. Why Foremost a milk delivery company was photographing family's is something I've never figured out. While were reminiscing, remember the Helm's trucks? Man did those trucks smell good inside.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
Thank you Calicajun.

As a matter of fact I have the 8x10 photo of the three of us boys from the Foremost photo truck. They came knocking on our door back in the 60s and mom had our picture taken. Why Foremost a milk delivery company was photographing family's is something I've never figured out. While were reminiscing, remember the Helm's trucks? Man did those trucks smell good inside.
Do you remember the photographer that went house to house with a little pony and cowboy/cowgirl outfit taking pictures. There a picture of me somewhere in mom's house of me on that pony.
Loved the Helms bakery trucks and the Good Humor ice cream trucks. Guess with everyone inside on computer they would never hear the trucks coming.