Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:19 PM   #11

Here it is with just a bit more clarity.
Attached Images
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:49 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I printed a few today. My first one was definitely too dark in the foreground. You were all quite right. I find it much harder to judge how a B&W print will turn out from the on-screen image than with a colour print.

I got one accidentally that looked quite good. Ah no - what I mean to say is that through careful application of a new experimental technique I substantially improved the print image.

I added a gradient layer and put the opacity down to around 15% then adjusted the levels.

Here is a jpg version of what looked good on paper.
Attached Images
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:20 PM   #13

gorgeous building!

lol, i have to be really picky here, because you're trying a shot that's nearly impossible...
you're shooting straight at a symmetric building, down a path..
you did a fabulous job lining it up..looks level, and it's a couple pixels off perfect!

i think it could use a smidge of curves...but you can't go too far, or you'll lose something lol

the bushes are missing some details :-p, and the sky could be darker...so that will require three seperate layers with different curves applied to it, and masked for the specific areas...

well, i commend you on the awesome job lining this up...it's great!

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:29 PM   #14

I'm in a current mode of heavy focus on lighting and composition (my problem) so I choose to stay out of most post processing or retouching discussions. I have revisited this post several times and allowed some time to let it sink in.
In the case of this scene, I just feel that it would be significantly improved taken at an angle. How much, and which side, depends on things I cannot see which lie outside this image. Your capture is sound and, like many, can be tweaked in PP to look better to each viewer. If you ever have the chance, I would really like to see it recomposed from one side or the other.
Tom B. (TMc)
TMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote