Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1

I like the colors and background on this, but wonder if it would look better cropped to one side or the other. Suggestions?
Attached Images
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:30 AM   #2
Super Moderator

The light seems a little harsh and washed-out and perhaps there's too little happening in the frame.

I'd fancy a crop or a tighter macro with more flattering light or perhaps a bit of a saturation boost in PS. The background is nice but there's just a bit too much of it for my taste.

I've never seen a hawkweed before and it is a really interesting looking plant; those jagged edges on the petals are very unusual, so I like the subject very much.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:22 AM   #3

I'd agree with peri and suggest perhaps a very vertical crop -- with lots of stem and not a lot to either side. I don't think there's a problem centering the flower left to right because you've shot it "straight on." but try placing it in the left or right third of the frame and see if you like it.

Neat subject!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:06 AM   #4

I'd probably crop this image square with the subject in the left 3rd of the frame. The viewer's eyes will first be attracted to the center of interest, move to the bright background area then follow the edge of the leaf back to your intended center of interest.

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote