Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:55 AM   #1

Well this is my second attempt at trying to capture pollen in the weeds in my garden.

And to me it looks better than my last futile attempt, but alais it does not have the desired effect.

What I wanted to capture was the actual pollen, ands not the parts of the plant that hold the pollen, maybe this is impossible to do using a Fuji S602 Zoom in macro, I honestly do not know?

To me the picture here is more pleasing to the eye than the last one I took. which can be seen here:

But this one is not as defined as the last one ( minus the noise etc of course ).

Am I wasting my time getting cold in my garden for hours trying to capture this image?

Should I learn my ASA from my ISO before embarking on such a task?

Can you help me get it right?

Answers to the above question and any advice is always welcome.

And please - keep it in plain, simple, idiot proof camera talk - when I say I am a beginner, I really mean it, only had a the camera about a month now.

Shot at f2.8 - 1/150s - ISO 200 (what the hell is ISO?)

Attached Images
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:25 PM   #2

Kung-Fu, are you trying to show pollen as individual granules or as a powder on the flower's stamens as shown below? For individual granules you really nedd much more magnification than what the S602Z can deliver without help of macro lenses. Also try to use a smaller aperature (larger numbers) than f/2.8 for more depth of field so you get more of the image in focus. I have the s602z also and it is a nice camera. try using supermacro mode and you can focus in as close as about 1 cm. that may help with the pollen issue. hope this helps.

here's the pic showing (not too clearly) pollen dust.

Attached Images
djb is offline   Reply With Quote