Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:32 AM   #1

Ok, you are out lurking around in the mountains with your camera, come around the corner and find yourself about to become acquainted with a big furry dandelion eater. You see him (on account of you're old and stealthy...) and he doesn't see you. You... a) backtrack and beat it outa there... b) go over and give'im a big hug... c) make a quick look for the best exit,quietly snap a pic and beat it. Very good we all chose b. (Amazing how well I can type with one good hand) What settings would you plant into your prosumer, or would you put your trust in the Gods of autofocus and hope for the best.... Eh? Best regards,

Attached Images
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 5:27 AM   #2

I don't know what I would have done in this situation. My encounters with these critters (when I wasn't hunting them non-camera) have always resulted in a brief instant of recognition, and me watching the bear leaving for the other side of the mountain in a big hurry. Unless I had a camera to hand and completely reasy to shoot, it would have resulted in just a shot of the south end of northbound bear. This is a rare and wonderful opportunity that you have taken excellent advantage of.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3

You could have tossed him a marshmallow..
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Good shot Ken.I like it. You could have at least asked it to smile. Hard to bear down (heh, heh),and get yourself closer for a real tight shot, but with these guys, you never really know what they'll do. Some are so calm and others are ornery. We supposedly have a bear infestation in our area (north shore of Vancouver), but I've never seen one roaming the neighbourhoods here in 40 years. Even when I'm out and about roaming the parklands, I've yet to see one. Cheers......thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:11 PM   #5

Thanks, all...I have found that these creatures are all different, just like people in a way. Some are, as noted, easy going, friendly and not a danger at all. Others are grumpy and unpredictable, and very dangerous if you get too close. I always err on the side of caution, but keep hoping for the right circumstances to get a good shot. I'm going back to try again. Best regards,

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:24 PM   #6

Sweet.I would use auto 1st and then try manual,just so you may get a good pic.Thanks for sharing.

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 11:24 PM   #7

After checking my pants for any wet spots I would have shot bracketed shots if I could keep my hands from shaking...

Aloha, nicely done under the circumstances
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:28 AM   #8

Great shot Kenneth.

I would have zoomed to 200mm if I wasn't panicking.Not surprised you didn't though, and your hands might have beenshaking too muchif he looked even closer :shock:

Glad you had the presence of mind to press the shutter though .

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 4:39 AM   #9

Nice of him to pose amongst the flowers!

Well done

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote