Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

This is my first time posting. This is a picture of a patio off of a beautiful house in downtownSt. Augustine, Fl. I am a highschool student and I am very intersted in photography. I am still unsure how to make the image appear inside this box, not using a link to view the photo. I am open to any advice and suggestions. Thank you very much for your time.
Attached Images
optimistic_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

To be honest I don't really like it. Nothing in the photo draws my eye, or grabs my interest. There is no story being told by this photograph (to me at least). Having said that though, what will draw one persons eye may not draw another persons eye. Just something to keep in mind when shooting photo's.

Oh, as for posting photo's if you use a source such as Photobucket and then just paste the link it gives you to your photo's you'll be able to see them here.
Spritzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:04 AM   #3

While I'm no expert, I dont think every photo has to tell a story. It might be a better photo if it tells a story, but I dont think it has to to be a good photo.

I think you should crop out the fence or whatever it is though.

And I just browse to the file with the browse button below the text box on the reply window. And then the pic is in the page.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:43 AM   #4

I see exactly what you want to show! However- first thing that meet my eye was the pillars in the foreground. You obvious used a flash or some heavy lightsource was on the spot. This is what I would do next time:

1. jump the pillars and shoot on the other side.

2. Shoot from the right corner instead to get rid of the tree-plate on the building behind.

3. Raise camera position a bit to get the top of the palm in the picture too.

4. Brighten the green areas in an editor.

5. Add some saturation (just a bit) to emphasise the colors.

5. Add some sharpness.

Please dont be offended by my critique.

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:11 AM   #5

I think if you crop out the fence posts in front, this could be a nice photo. That and brighten it up a bit.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6

Awesome house!

You just need to walk around and snap about 40-50 shots from different angles.

A few will turn out great.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:04 AM   #7

I quite like the idea of the pink fence in the front of the frame. If I were you, I would have dropped down a bit behind the fence and brought more of it into frame. Then centre myself a bit more, bringing the line of the fences along with the patio slabs. I'd probably shoot two then, one with the pointin ginto the sky and one square on. Either way you can get a very flat and angular feel to it. It would also bring more of the curve into what I would imagine to be a very squared photo.
Buceph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:24 AM   #8

The house if very neat. The pilars in the front are throwing it off, IMHO.

Also, to get the picture to show up without having to click a link, don't put any spaces in the name. I looks like your pic is called "a patio.jpg". Just name is "patio.jpg" or something like that and it should show up on the page.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote