Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 27, 2005, 3:57 PM   #1

I managed to get a few shots of this buck on two consecutive days:

A couple of questions: What could I have done differently toimprove the shots- taking into consideration there was no time to make adjustments? What can I do at this stage to improve the image quality to do justice to this magnificent animal? Lastly- a friend told me to putcopyright info. on every photo I post on the web. Is this necessary?

All info./suggestions appreciated.

Tom Lusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the first shot, the lighting is quite harsh and is working against you... not much you can really do about that though...

the second shot is better.. though it is just a bit soft... watch your shutter speeds and make sure they are at least 1/focal-length...

right now, on the second shot i would run a bit of unsharp mask on it to bring out the details.. i would also bump up the saturation just a bit as the colors a tiny biy muted..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:20 PM   #3

From a technical standpoint the first shot has badly blown highlights. But I like the shot. The composition is good and the shot is interesting. It doesn't have to be technically perfect to be a nice shot IMO.

For the second you might have used spot metering. This is a quick and dirty with Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop:

Attached Images
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:32 PM   #4

while they may not be technically perfect, i think you did a pretty good job. the first shot has a great composition, you captured a great moment with this deer.* the blown out parts don't bother me so much, the tree dissecting that area really saves it.**
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote