Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,

Doc is my rescue/shelter dog - a mixed German Shepherd and Labador Retriever, perhaps with a bit of Chow (the spotted tongue, and the trademark stubbornness). He is very friendly toward the people he knows, but a bit skittish of strangers and loud noises - I am informed that he showed severe signs of physical abuse and malnutrition when he was rescued.

Please critique the photograph. My only changes were to resize and crop it. I realize that I should have used a larger aperature to blur out the background chair, but he rarely stays still once I get within an unobstructed proximity (I have the countless blurry photos to prove it too).

Actually, I have been unsuccessful in selecting and blurring the background. If someone can give me a few pointers on that as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
- CN
Attached Images
CluelessNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:53 AM   #2

Great looking dog. Clearly, the background takes something away from this picture. Get him outside with your camera, and just be patient until he gets in a position for a great picture and snap away.
GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 2:08 AM   #3
Super Moderator

just set your camera to Av, select a large aperture, and then be ready all the time for the next time he is still.. that will look much better than trying to blur it in photoshop..

i think you are on the right track, its sharp, and i like that you shot from nearly eye level.. just be aware of your background, try to pick an even toned background, that way when you shoot with the larger aperture next time, you will get a nicely even toned, out of focus background..

keep shooting and have fun doing it! -dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:54 AM   #4

besides everything that was said about the background, i also wouldn't cut off his front paw like that either. i like the angle at which you shot this, and the expression you caught. dogs can be tough, mine seem afraid of the camera. you are on the right track, you'll get it soon.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 8:17 AM   #5

You captured your dog's life story in the expression in his eyes. I agree that a change in background could make this picture more dramatic, but sometimes you just have to work with where he is at the time! Awesome shot.

P.S. Dogs are awesome
330 is offline   Reply With Quote