Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:50 PM   #11

The "every picture tells a story" cliche stands tall for a reason. It makes us want to look at a photo and let our senses decide what story the image has to offer. For the available light, looking at the (pretty good really) sharpness of this image, it isn't unacceptably grainy to my eye. You might play with the obvious available variables, shutter speed, tripod, aperture...the usual suspects...but you ended up with an interesting result here, just the way you did it. With this amount of light, and considering you weren't photographing a still, inanimate subject, you have to take your chances with the variables. Most obviously, because she just may move, and any advantage you could gain by compensating for the dim light may be cancelled. If you were to have adjusted the lighting, she may have reacted negatively and the shot may have been missed. If you have the cooperation you need, then do the experimenting, check the image against the changes you make, and let us know how you made out. A N D at that iso, looking at the image, I would not be dissatisfied with the lense. If you are really new to digital photography, before you shell out a lot for another lense, I'd be really working with what you've got to get a clear understanding of what you hope to accomplish by acquiring some new glass. For the dough you're willing to spend, you should have some nice choices. Best regards,

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 4:25 AM   #12

I like the grain, as your shot is not in colour this adds a nice texture. You have this noise due to using ISO 1600. No other reason.

If you really want to get rid of it, and I do sometimes when I use these high ISO's, is to get a programs called - Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Run your image through one of these before sharpening ( if you need/want sharpening that is).

The 24-70 f2.8L USM is a great zoom and the one to get if you choose a zoom.

Or you could go straight for what you will eventually learn to want : fast primes.

You already have one. - 50mm

If I were you, then I'd get EF 20mm f2.8 USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM (you have a 50 already - right, maybe f1.8?), also theEF 85 f1.8 USM and the EF135 f2.8. You could get all three to fill you range with your budget.

Then as money dictates/allows, I would then upgrade to : EF 24mm f1.4 L USM, EF 35mm f1.4 L USM, EF 85 f1.2 L USM and EF 135mm f2L USM.

You wont mind changing lenses when you see the results of your shots. You can always pick up a good zoom for travel convenience, but many I know don't even bother.

Have a look at this article.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:14 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advise. I was skeptical about buying the 50mm f1.8, but I really enjoyed it more than I did the standard lense the Rebel XT comes with. I think the lense really forced me to think more about composition. Plus, I'm very happy with the the quality and sharpness the fotos.

I went ahead and ordered the 24-70 f2.8L USM. The reviews and comments seem to make this a real winner. I should have this on Monday -- can't say enough how anxious and excited I am.
Ronnell is offline   Reply With Quote