Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1

I took this picture of my 4 year old using a 300D and a borrowed 50mm 1.4 lens. When I first saw it I wished both eyes were in focus but I printed it out and my wife pinned it on the noticeboard in the kitchen. Every time I walk past it now it catches my eye and It has become one of my favourite pictures. Here is my question. Do people prefer one or both eyes to be in focus, if one then should it be the near one or the far one. Its probably a subjective topic but I would like to hear what other people think.
Attached Images
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 6:55 AM   #2

You might get alot of different opinions. As far as a candid shots you might get away with it. With portrait photography, where you are submitting the photo to a client you would want both eyes in focus.

If a shot was composed of mainly the face and eyes, and one of the eyes was the main point of attention then it would probably work out.

IMO the difference in focus and lighting draws all the attention to that one eye but in the composition it does not appear that one eye was intended to be the center of attention.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i concur, go for both eyes if possible..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 4:09 PM   #4

if this were a portrait for a client i would say both eyes should be in focus, that being said i think it's a great shot of a really cute kid and probably looks wonderful in your kitchen.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote