Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1

Just a picture I took last night while taking a break from studying.

Currently using a Nikon 8700, but hoping to upgrade to a 20D soon. Havent been interested in photography till a couple of months ago, but now I wish I had found it sooner.
pwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

nice long exposure resulting in some interesting taillight streams.. the sign is a bit underexposed though as the meter was fooled by the streetlights and carlights etc, but thats always difficult to judge in advance..

for next time, you may get down closer to the road, and then take a shot of the going at an angle away from you, using the same techniques you used in the previous shot.. and find an interesting building or part of town to use as your backdrop.. because for me, the streaking taillights and lit-up buildings were more interesting than the sign..

look forward to many more, and welcome to the forum..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:52 AM   #3

Nice effort. Still, its a little busy for me - the grating the sign the background. If I try really really hard I can make a connection between your breakdown sign and the streaming traffic. The not so obvious contradiction here.

But thats the whole point. At first glance its not that obvious. For a photograph to work for the masses, an instant connection of some kind needs to be made. Otherwise the viewer will look at it once, then forget it. (Even if that conection is very simple - 'oh this is a flower, its pink and rather nice' )

At least you looking at your environment andbetter still, thinking about it. And though you might notbelieve it - like everything, the more you do something the better you become.

The technical side of things - underexposure in certain areas and lack of contrast, are easy to resolve as you learn more about your eyes, equipment and computer software.

However what we choose to photograph is of the primary importance.

Keep trying.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4

i really like yourpicture here. its totally a picture i too would have attempted to take if i was there.

for an interesting effect you could use flash to really bring out the sign and leave the background interestingly busy. sometimes i use colored flash to give the foreground subject an interesting look.

see my picture with my thumb:

dogonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5

For me the sign gets in the way of an exceptional shot. It is the center of interest but it just doesn't hold it for me. I want to see the rest of it but it is just in the way.

Others may see it as busy and for what you are shooting it is just that. Two things going on at once and it just seems to clash.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote