Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:23 PM   #1

I have been reading the posts here for a few weeks as I have been experimenting with my new camera. I am trying to learn more about photography and am very open to any criticism. This shot is of one of my dogs, untouched, taken with my EOS 20D. Please offer comments.
Attached Images
DigitalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the first thing i have to say here is watch your depth of field... you do not have enough of it here, therefore the ear is in focus, but the snout and eye are not.. remember that the smaller the f-number, themore open the aperture, andthe less depth of field you have.. (so f2.8 will have a more open aperture and less depth of field than f5.6)... so stop down a few notche here to get the whole face sharp..

also, for most, and i say most as rules can be broken but are good to follow when starting out, so most portraits the main element and focal point should be the eye.. for this shot, the ear seems to be...

i like the tight crop, but i would like to have the tight crop be of the face and eyes and not really just the ears.. and i like the black and white treatment..

so maybe take a few more of your dog with some of those things in mind and see how you like em.. experimentation is the best learning tool.. and as i always say, take notes of what you are doing.. that way you can cross-reference these notes with your pics and see what you are doing that works and what isn't working and thus be able to do more of what you like and less of what you don't.. but most of all--- have fun doing it!!!!!

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3

I appreciate your time with regard to your reply. Great tips that will help me a lot.

DigitalCop is offline   Reply With Quote