Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:23 PM   #11

I prefer the black and whit as well...not only do the skin tones look better but it also eliminates the need to mess with the sky. The only issue I have with the image is the sunglasses on Mom. The glasses block her eyes and don't really let her expression shine through like the childrens. Overall, nice job!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:24 AM   #12

Just adding here. I'm not convinced you've made the best b/w conversion possible. Initial thoughts also make me think it would be better to selectively alter the sky tone to bring it away from the skin tone as they are too close after conversion.

If I get time I will have a try later.

Take care

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:13 AM   #13
Super Moderator

OK, adjusting the sky for B&W this time.

And cloning out the nasty sloping treeline left.

Various levels adjustments etc.

I'm going to leave it uncropped because the background (although a bit distracting) is relevant to the memory, and relevant for the subjects I think, it's a photograph taken when we were out in a rural area and I think that is important for the memory the picture will evoke.

I think I have decided what to do. I like the B&W more than the colour, but I'm going to get a print done of both.

I'll get the frame with matte, which probably will work equally well for B&W and colour (thanks Dustin).

I'll put the B&W in the frame but give them the colour print too, so they can swap it out if they prefer it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Attached Images
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:46 AM   #14

I just want to say I have loved the discussion. It has been an eye opener. That said, the photo is cool, though like with every photo, it own imperfections that have already been suggested.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote