Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:22 AM   #1

Hello All,

First of all, I like to say thank you to you guys, especiallyDustin, LBoy,peripatetic and other who have given a lotof useful comments for me in this forum. However, please understand that I am still learning so you might see I rarely give comments or critiques. Anyway, attached is another photo I took last weekend, the same time with the photo titled "In the kitchen". This is a portrait of an old woman of Nha Lon on the Longson island who is sifting green beans.

I don't know anything about PS though I know that is an disadvantage in playing around with digital photography. However, I tried using it to burn the small light dot above behind the head of the woman. I guess this should have been cloned but I could not use this.

So I would much appreciate your viewing and commenting this portrait. Should this be OK or it needed to be re-edited in PS to get an impressive look. Your re-editing welcomed.

Thanks and Regards,

Attached Images
Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:39 AM   #2

It's possible to nitpick anything, but it's a very nice shot. Congratulations.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:32 AM   #3

As always Tran, your exposure is spot on.

The composition is not that special however. Apart from the cut at the knee and the basket, the activity here is not holding my attention and there is not really a story being told either. This is a hard critique I suppose, but its only because your lasteffort was so good (special) in every aspect.

My best judgment of a photograph is my feeling the instant I see it. Before I even think about any rules, it is a gut feeling that will tell me if Ireally want to see that particular photograph again. And add it to my file of fine examples haha. Its very hard to do this accurately with your own photographs.

The ones that don't fit into that bracket are not necessarily bad photographs, they just might mean more to an individualparticular person or task than in having general broad appeal to all.

My fav sentence as always : There are no rules in photography, only good photographs. Ansel Adams.

Still I always open your posts as a rule, because you offer quality and originality.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:45 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i agree with the cropping of the knee and the right side of the basket thing... but i am not going to be as harsh on this because i rather like it.. not so much as the last one, but i think you raised your bar pretty high with that one and thats always difficult to follow up..

i would like to see a little more deadspace on the top of this image maybe.. i think that may pull her off center a bit and add a little to the composition..

otherwise, its a nice capture...

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

it is a bit of a tight crop but a gorgeous, strong image anyway.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 7:52 PM   #6

For me I would have liked to have seen the hand on the right side.
This picture capturing those rugged weathered hands and face show so much of the hard way of life that this person continues to lead despite her age.
limeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 8:11 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments.

@LBoy and Dustin: I very much appreciate your valuable critiques from that I could learn a lot to improve my photography.

Thanks and regards,

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:48 AM   #8

Some times when it comes to matters of taste then we must all agree to disagree.:P
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote