Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

OK... For me it is "Critique Thy Self"

The hardest thing to do is to objectively look at our own pictures.
It's easier to see flaws in other peoples pictures then our own. I've seen some
pretty good photogs post here to be surprised at what they missed during capture
and edit.

So... I've said before. We should all "Critique" the pictures posted here by everyone...
When we findconfidence in being brave enough to post a "Critique", it will make us
better at "Critiquing" ourselves...

PS: Of course all my stuff is really good. LOL
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

dale made a great point (for once, hehehe).. everyone should critique their own shots BEFORE posting.. that way you can compare what you thought of your picture with what everyone else says.. before they bias your opinion.. and don't be afraid to challenge the critique, if you did something for what you thought was a good reason, say so, that will help to foster good exchanges for everyone to learn from..

for me the biggest thing i learned in 2005 is that a multi-stitch panoramic photo can be used for things other than landscapes.. i have yet to find a good opportunity to put it in practice, but i am sure i will at some time.. thanks LB..

and of course it has been a real pleasure to "meet" all of you and be a part of this forum.. we have a great group of ppl andihave a lot of fun with you all.. and after all, this should be enjoyable right!!

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:59 PM   #3

I learned that photog's can improve their photos as a result of posting photos here and getting critiques.

The other thing I've learnedis that it's important to have an audience.

It's great to take photos, but even better to "play" to an audience.

Most actors would agree, it's nice to rehearse but nothing can beat a live audience.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:00 PM   #4

I've learned that I have a long, long way to go, but am going to have fun getting there.

All due respect to you dudes out there. This forum is so encouraging and inspiring.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:32 PM   #5

I believe the most important thing I have learned this first year of owning a camera is how to "See". An example I can give you is in my post "Flowering Weed". I learned later that It is a Morning Glory. Just five months ago before I got my camera I would have raked up this "weed". Now I am seeing where I have not seen before.

I have also learned how valuable you all are to me with your "Critiques" of mine and other peoples photos. And yes I am learning how to Critique my own photos. Hopefully 2006 will give me some insight and confidence to give some educated critiques of my own.

Thanks to all of you on this forum and a Happy New Year.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

i agree with terry about the audience stuff.* the most important things i learned were more of the technical aspects of shooting digital and the basics of post processing, thanks dustin ! really, thanks to everyone here, i value the opinions shared here and the silliness too!
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:18 AM   #7

Thebest thing I've learnt is thata great bunch of people frequent this forum - ever encouraging, never derogatory unless it is in jest, and always keen to share your hard earned knowledge. As I've said before, what one can learn here is worth a library full of reference books -when I don't understand something I've read, I come here tohave it explained. All this andmore importantly,the great friendships that develop out of a sharedpassion.

Thanks everyone -have a great New Year and be safe in all that you do.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:50 AM   #8

For me, I've learned a lot about composition and post processing but I mainly read these forums cos it feels like belonging to an extended family of keen photographers, always ready to help you out.

And the great thing is that because there are members around the world you can be pretty sure that someone will be online whatever time of day. (And Dustin is presumably wired to his computer).

Thanks all
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:58 AM   #9

I arrived on the forum completely raw, you know just out of the packing box, with very little knowledge of photography. I met a very dedicated, informed and knowlable and caring people. These were my first impressions of the people I met on the forum.

I posted with zeal and zest, with the mood of a little boy/ girl receiving his/her first toy- ear to ear smile. In retrospect, I look at those pictures and know how horrible they were. The amazing thing is that folks still looked at them and suggest very useful hints and how these shots could be improved. In a consumerist world, if it does not interest you it does not fit into your paradigm so why bother. No this is not what I found! I was treated like a patient with a bad wound that needed to be healed. Very gently but firmly and very often painfully I was being schooled into the art of good photography. Soon I began to tell a bad picture from a good one. With this my confidence improved. I wrote notes of what I learnt, asked questions, and could see the change coming slowly.

I might have learnt A-Z but were it not for you folks, it would mean nothing. Some gave pieces of advice, others merely looked, but to see how many people have viewed your photo even if they said nothing is always a moment of joy for me. So the most important thing that happened to me is meeting all of you some rarely some quite often.

The journey is still a long one but certainly I have taken the first step. Your memories, you kindness, you gentle but firm pieces of advice will always live with me. Always know that I deeply appreciate. I do not belong to any other forum because I feel at home here. Let us continue being friends.

Kind regards.

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:48 AM   #10

Personally, I've learned a lot just from visiting the forum and reading everyone else's tips and honest critiques, not specifically of my own photos (I think I've only posted 5 or so!) but of everyone's. Now I've got my new camera, hopefully my posts will be more regular and I look forward to the truthful responses everyone always gives.

Also, it's not just reading the responses that proves rewarding, it's inspiring to see the photos that everyone else posts. The quality of the photos is significantly above my current level but the ideas that I get just from seeing them gives me the impetus to go out and photograph, as well as the confidence that I can continually improve, as others on this forum so obviously have.

Thanks, everyone. Have a great night tonight and a wonderful 2006.

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote