Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:51 AM   #11

Interesting animal Dustin, I never looked so closely at a mountain yak before! I prefer the first one mainly because the yak looks more separated from the "trees" (the 2nd one I feel a bit like the branch is shooting from it's back). I don't know if it would have looked better with the yak having just sky directly behind it and the tree further to the left of it (so it doesn't "interfere" with it's body). I DO like the round sort of rock / hill thing it's standing on though!

And I'm with Julie, that I prefer the first one's head position (yes these are just subjective things I know). However.... one little thing about the first one is that I can't help but notice the way it stands (compared to the second photo). I have an idea in the back of my mine it's about to have a bowel movement or something.... :roll: Maybe it's just my bias having grown up on a farm.

Still very interesting and well composed shots... Well done (as per usual) Dustin!

regards from Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:03 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Um, wow.

In the second one he/she? (I find it soooo difficult to tell with Yaks) looks like it might be getting ready to jump.

I prefer the second to the first one, where it looks like it might be getting ready to do something else that rhymes with "jump". :P

So where did you find this Yak?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:18 AM   #13

Nice pics Dustin (would we expect anything less?:-))

I'm with Julie & PJ - prefer the first shot for no other reason than it just seems altogether more natural to me. The position of the head gives more character detail and interest. First one is a little too clean / portraitish if you get my drift.

Anyway, Im beginning to yak on a bit - nice shots
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:33 AM   #14

I love 'em both! They are so sharp and real. I am very impressed.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:16 AM   #15

both are great pictures dustin, it inspires me to take a day off work and go shoot some digital when i see top pics like these

ps - theres enough 'space' to the right to fit a great caption of some sort lol
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:53 AM   #16

I like #1 Dustin. To me there is a little more detail in the fur. The horns are more upright and stand out better. And I think there is a little less distractionby the background with the trees being a little further to the left. Makes the animal stand out a little more. But then again if I could take this quality of aphotograph my critique might mean a little more. Great shots!

Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:39 AM   #17
Super Moderator

thanks everyone for all your comments... and i am glad that you enjoyed viewing as i enjoyed taking them and sharing.... and i am always glad to inspire someone to take a day off work.. hehe..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote