Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:35 AM   #1

Just shot this out of my bedroom window. I like the tall panorama effect but I'm not sure if there's enough interest at the bottom to make it work. Also, it would be nice to have the vapour trails cutting across at an angle but I don't have much control over flight paths, I'm afraid.
Attached Images
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:47 AM   #2

Hi Frenchy,

Quite nice. Pleasing shades of colour here. I like your placement of tree. Try to get that tree outline a little sharperwhichI think willmake this photo stand out a bit more.

Funny, just recently I mentioned I don't normally mind more than one point of interest. But each photo has its own merits, and I would remove the barrel thing/outline (only if it were me that is)

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3

I agree with Lboy in that the building roof outline takes away from your horizon. The large black area is not very exciting, but the vertical format doesnt work without it as it looks unbalanced to me when I tried a crop. ALl in all I think you made the best of this shot in camera, only some PS could add anymore.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:08 AM   #4

I am not sure if you spotted my recent attempt at a similar shot in San Francisco of the bay bridge. It feels very similar to me this one. I really like the colours in the sky. As LB mentioned I think that tree could be a little sharper. I also find the plane trails (is that what they are)a little distracting its a shame really but we can't have everything!

One other point would be to maybe shave off some of the dead space at the bottom? I don't think that you need that much there to still keep the same appeal - after all it is the outline and the colour that really makes this one stand out.

Also, that's the view out of your window?? Wow, much better view than me!

DomCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:11 AM   #5

Frenchy have not seen you for sometime. See you have returned in style. Al the other three have said it. The colours are absorbing. Thanks.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:03 PM   #6

Thanks for all your comments, guys.

LBoy - the photo was taken at the long end of the zoom and was hand-held, hence the slightly blurry tree. Too much caffeine today, I think. I'll try another time with a tripod and see what I get.

Techtigger - I'll see what I can do to remove the building but my PS skills might fall a bit short on that one.

Dom - I think it was your shots that gave me the idea to crop it this way. There were some ugly buildings further to the left that made the horizontal pano a bad idea so this was the best option. And by the way, most of the view from my window does not look like that - this was a l-o-o-o-n-g zoom.

Aumma - yes, been away with work and off sick fora while but I'm back again. Thanks for your comments.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 6:00 PM   #7
Super Moderator

great composition.. with good placement of the horizon and tree.. and the colors are fantastic... nice work..

i think a little USM will help out the tree..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote