Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:38 AM   #1

We recently got a kitten, he seems to like posing for me, which is great, gives me a chance to test out my new camera :blah:

This is one of few photos I'm actually happy with, out of about 600 shots I've taken so far.
I think its gonna take a while to get used to, theres so many variables to take into account now! :?

I wish I could have gotten his paw in focus!
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:02 AM   #2

Well I'll be the first to comment on this one. In general, a nice capture - you got down to the same level as the subject and his body is at a nice angle in the frame. Nice expression too, but a shame he's not looking directly at the camera. As you say, the DOF is a bit shallow. It's also a pity that the flash didn't highlight the rear of his body.

I know how difficult it is to get shots like the one above, though, so well done! Also love the hair coming out of his ears!

PS - maybe clone out the clutter to the top right but leave the chair - it adds a sense of location.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:11 AM   #3

what a delightful picture, and such a handsome looking chap.
Quintessential Moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

its a a pretty good picture of a cute kitten.. its sharp enough and the dof does not bother me..

you may put this one in the pet forum.. they will love it down there..as the artistic merits of a cat are a little limited.. not putting down your shot, just not sure if you will get the # of replies you are looking for here..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:35 AM   #5

I assume this was taken at an opportune moment and not set up. Fair enough, as it stands its good. Not bad.

Just a few ideas though.

Cats can often sit very still, therefore have a try at a shot without the camera built in flash, which I guess you have used here, producing a fairly stark light. Use a tripod if the shutter speed exceeds the handhold rule. This will give a nicer colour to your shot. Of course you will need to be careful with your white balance under indoor lights all the more, either before hand or in post-processing if you shoot in Raw. Try with your pet in a location where the background is simpler or even provide a background from paper or material.

Nice composition apart from the background, which I find a distraction and a bit unattractive.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 7:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments.

Lboy, he was sitting on the table, so I got my camera.
I think he reached out to play with my camera strap or soemthing, but was too lazy to move his paw back :blah: hence the pose.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:05 PM   #7

Lovely picture. Since my mates have said all of it, from a photographic viewpoint point, it takes time to build up skill, patience and practice will get there there. Keep posting. Kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote