Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

This is a picture that was shot with natural light coming through a window.
Attached Images
cdmo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:52 AM   #2

I quite like this picture, just feel it a little dark around the stem area.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:42 AM   #3

That is a great picture. I can see some wanting to see a liiittle bit more of the stem. Maybe try a reflector to the side or something.Thanks for sharing,I think I am going to try that out for myself too.

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

Nice photo. I agree with Syd - the stem is darkbut I really like the ethereal feeling the whole thing portrays.
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:46 PM   #5

I've looked at this picture several times before commenting because I'm still figuring out my thoughts.

The first thing that struck me is that the lighting on the white petals is gorgeous.

When I looked at the stems and leaves I couldn't decide if I like them okay as they are or would prefer them to get lost altogether so that we could just see the flower against a black background.

I still don't have an absolute preference. I think the flower would look nice (minus stems and leaves) against black, but that would be quite a different picture from what you have here. Still, even though the stem and leaves are dark, they don't take anything away from the picture. In fact, the stem makes a rather pleasing diagonal line into the flower. You could probably go either way with this and have a really pleasing image.

In any event, you definitely struck gold with the lighting on the white petals.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #6

I'm also ambivalent about the stem lighting. On the one hand, it seems too dark. However, because it is so dark, it seems to be gray --which carries through the color scheme of the photo. I think, on the whole, I would rather have a lighter stem. If the color turns out to be distracting, it might be appropriate to tone it down in PS.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:53 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Beautiful shot, excellent composition. But the lighting is a real challenge.

I would be inclined to go the opposite direction, don't try to find more detail in the stem - go for even less; there is quite a bit of noise in the blacks, but the subtle light admits to toning down the background even more.

I ran the shot through a noise filter (neatimage) and applied a tiny bit of solarization.

I love the ghostly shimmer on the leaves and the subtle range of tonalities in the flower.

Splendid work - really lovely. You simply must have a good sized high-quality print made of this.
Attached Images
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:54 PM   #8

fatastc shot. i really like it. it is a little dark around the stem but i htink in this case t works in with the image nicely. i think it leads the eye to the top of the rose and really emphisises it with its contrast. fantastic lighting on the actual rose petals. superb detail. really nice composition

this would have to be one of my fav shots

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote