Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

So can anyone give me any advice. i'm very new to photography, doing a lot of reading and such.

was lucky enough to go somewhere very beutiful with my camera.

xxvga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:00 PM   #2

I'm quite new to photgraphy myself but there are a couple of small things I'd try. First off the images are both beautiful but the first is quite faded or dull while the second is very vibrant. I think that if the first had the depth of color the second has it would be much more captivating. From the image it appears that it was quite foggy or misty so that would influence the colors but if you could find a way to pull the colors out that would make a great travel poster. And I do love the monkey.

JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:36 PM   #3

i'm having trouble believing you are new to photography.

though not technically perfect, both of these shots have merit.

1st shot is a bit dark and soft, but probably seems more so because of the heavy mist.

if you were to slow the shuter speed a bit (if hand held, it would be tough to keep in

focus), you would have let in a bit more light and the water would have a much

desired blurring effect.

the second shot of the monkey is actually really good. the subject is completely in focus

and it looks as though you even aplied the "rule of thirds" (the subject is not centered,

but to one side or another by thirds).

very nicely done, xxvga.

E.S. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the comment. Actually, I have only been taking pictures for two months now, and haven't taken that many. I have been doing a lot of reading and did read about the rule of 2 thirds....the second picture was cropped that way.

I found it hard to worry about composition when there is a moving animal in the shot, so I just took the shot and cropped later.

I had some other advice regarding the first picture. it was very misty where the picture was taken, therefore it's a muted shot. i was told to push the contrast and pop out the colours a bit, which i have done and i think it looks ok.

see below.

thanks for the responses...it's much appreciated.

xxvga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:48 PM   #5

First of all I want to welcome you to the forum. You are in right hands. I am sure you will never regret meeting the men and women here.

Some of the new things you need to learn are Depth of field, exposure, lighting, composition, colours, post processing (Techniques) and protrait, kids, travel, candid, landscapes, sport and action, night and low light, etc (subjects) You also need to learn your equipment. These are very general guidlines. I hope they are helpful because they give you a scope by which you should go. Have fun. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:56 PM   #6

Hello, and welcome

I like both shots. The edit of the waterfall is good, made the colours pop out much better. One thing I might suggest with the waterfall shot, is to try and get lower down, closer to water level. Shooting down on subjects tends to have less appeal than shooting at the same level.

Look forward to more,

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:56 PM   #7

woow i like both shots. composition is very cool on the first shot however i cant get over the hazzy finish on it. lots of potential ther though. the shot of the money (is tht wat it is) is slendid. I think this is really well composed and the saturation really brings this to life. you seem to have a very good eye for a nice photo.

look foward to more of your work.

i tried to minimise tht haze hope you dont mind.

ps. i did edit on my laptop so may appear a little off as my lcd is junk.
Attached Images
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:12 AM   #8

Nicely done Ken for a quick edit. I do like the Pictures though xxvga. Welcome, and keep posting, we learn a lot from each other here. I know I have, so hope you will too.

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:30 AM   #9

The others have already offered all the technical advice. These two shots demonstrate that you are developing a good eye for composition. I look forward to seeing many more photos from you.

Also, I understand your point about the monkey shot. With a moving subject it's sometimes best to shoot a little bit wide and make sure you've got the subject. You can crop and refine the composition later.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote