Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:11 PM   #11

peripatetic wrote:
As to the open v closed eye business...

I sat down with a couple of books, I looked at one by Steve McCurry and one by Lee Miller, maybe 500 portraits in all, by two of the finest portrait photographers the world has known. # with closed eyes = 0.

That's not to say it's necessarily impossible to do, but here it just looks like you missed the shot.

IMO if you're going to try a portrait of someone with their eyes closed it has to be different and the closed eyes have to reach the viewer in some special fashion, you have to show us why she has her eyes closed somehow, otherwise it just looks like a mistake.

In this case it does unfortunately just look like a mistake.
Greetings Craig...again and again I keep bumping into references like this. Independant of how revered our predecessors were, I like the notion that not every technique that works has been long since discovered, and should be followed. I have more desire to examine the overall appeal for the actual pose and look of the face, or expression, than I have with the eyes being open or closed. Having studied meditation, I was drawn to this for that reason. It does seem to conveythat type of expression. Now, IMO the contrast and detail could have been better.But whoever did the levels adjustment, tho on the right track IMO, went too far. For a quick candid shot, without much chance for setting preferences, I give it a thumbs up.

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 2:58 PM   #12

For a quick candid shot, without much chance for setting preferences, I give it a thumbs up.
Thank you.

This has been an issue I have been fighting with as well. I shoot what I see and try to capture things in the camera as they were when I saw them. But, often I have people tell me that picture is no good because it is too centered, the eye closest to the camera is not in focus or the horizon is crooked. They use all these rules to determine if a photo is good or not. I simply look at a picture and determine based on how it makes me feel whether I like it or not. The horizions in life are not always straight and objects are not always off center. I don't always shoot to copy what I see in books or force myself to conform to the 1/3 rule, I shoot to show people my view of life and what interests me. In this case I love the way she looks with her eyes closed because it was real (not posed).

Just my opionion. :|
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote