Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 1, 2006, 1:54 AM   #1

decided I wanted to try the black and white with color to see how it would change things. This is my first go at this, and don't really know 100% what I am doing, but please tell me how I can do this better.. etc.

Attached Images
wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 10:35 AM   #2

That's well done. Nice picture. I didn't get a chance to comment on your original image, so I will use this one. I like the focus on the action.Would also like to see some wider shots of the whole line out or full-body of the players. Just my thoughts.

LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

G'day guys,

I quite like this shot. And the composition, for which must have been annoying to even try and get, works well. As for the part b&W part colour idea, I like that as well especially in this shot as it brings even more focus on the two players going for the ball.

As for the parts you selected to colour you might want to double check that they all belong to the right players. Because it seems as if you are highlighting(incolour) the two up in the air giving them emphasis but you look like you get someone elses body part down the bottom in as well.

As for technique, I suggest (as yazzy as taught me) that you copy the layer first, turn it to greyscale, add a layer mask(reveal all), select the layer mask then using your eraser tool rub out the parts you want kept colour. If for some reason it doesn't rub anything out when you first use it, reverse your colour palette so that either black is on top or white. Never can remember which way around it is. And then once you stub rubbing, switch the colour palette if you make mistakes and go over spots. Oh and try and zoom in on areas to help with the small spots. Keep your rubber and/or brush to around 75% opacity and use the appropriate size for the right areas.

Anyway good luck with it....time for me to post up some pics I just took...

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote