Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 13, 2006, 1:07 PM   #1

Today I decided to try converting an image from colour to sepia manually.

I found it a learning experience, as I had to learn about reducing colours, RGB settings, resetting brightness and contrast, and most importantly, I learned how not to smash my laptop to pieces when I can't get the image right (it came close though)

I used Paintshop Pro 9 for my editiing, and used techniques such as , clarify, sharpening, soft focus, and blurring.

I decided to blur the image slightly and use a small amount of soft focus to give the image an older feel, as the original image was far too clear and sharp.

I also wanted to give the imagea old timefeel to it, you know, Famous 5, that kind of era.

This is my first attempt at a sepia conversion, so I would like some feedback on it if possible please?

Comments both good and bad are welcomed, but please try to say something more constructive than, "its crap", tell me why you think its crap and whereyou think Ihave gone wrong.

Image shot on Nikon D50 with 18-55mm lens, F5.6, shutter 1/500.

Attached Images
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 1:42 PM   #2

Whatever you say that you applied obviously does work there. And consequently you've attained some strong and crisp dreaminess.
You say it a learning experience. Well, keep up the good work, then!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 4:38 PM   #3

i think ths is a great image

composition is nice with a vanishing effect on the rails. Train sits nicely also. Exposure is also very werll done, no blow outs around. Subject and location are both great and they all compliment the look you are going for

the sepia conersion is excellent. Very natural feel to it and definately has an older fashion vibe about it

really great shot

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote