Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1

I just finished an effort to refill 4 cartridges on a Canon MP500.

I started a few nights ago. The first cartridge attempted was cyan. I didn't understand the need to SEAL the exit port until the 'ink reservoir' was filled and resealed with the little 'ball'. I had tape across the exit port, but it wasn't very secure. As soon as the reservoir got half filled, ink started leaking out past my tape. This caught me by surprise, so I put my finger (not in latex glove) on the exit port to hold things in. With my other hand, I tried to find the 'little ball' to seal the reservoir and plug the air hole. I made a big mess, but there was no serious damage. I had plenty of paper laying around.. I think I lost about 1/2 the ink in the reservoir before getting the little ball to seal the reservoir.

After thinking about it a few days, I decided to use rubber bands to lock-down the tape. I tried this method, tonight. It worked fine. I got the magenta and yellow cartridges filled without any problems.

The big black cartridge turned out to be difficult. My tape on the exit port held, but the little black ball didn't seem to seal. All the ink drained into my 'emergency' cup. I pulled the little black ball and tried the operation, again. Again, all the ink drained out.

Next, I tried the 'hot wax' trick. I filled the reservoir as before, inserted the ball, and then topped it all off with hot wax. This did the trick. Nothing leaked out.

Unfortunately, the printer refused to print. It wouldn't recognize my efforts to 'press and hold the stop/release button'. So, I'm stuck. This cartridge was the one that 'went dry' and forced me to attempt this refill operation. Maybe the chip has turned off the cartridge and locked me out.

Let me mention one more aspect of the refill operation. My instructions included drilling a hole on the sponge compartment's top, injecting some ink and leaving the hole unsealed. Some online instructions omit this step. Others suggest injecting ink through the 'exit port'. I went ahead and followed my instructions, but the operation seemed 'optional' and a bit puzzling. I'm wondering why it is necessary to plug the 'reservoir' hole, but not the sponge compartment. As best I can tell, this is just a means of getting an extra 1 or 2 cc in the cartridge.

JoeBob
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:39 AM   #2

I have an epson and to seal after I fill I use a hot melt gun. I have to use a chip resetter . But thats neither here or there.

Its great having individual ink tanks. The hot melt seals completly and is easily removed after for the next fill, tape should not be used as a bit of adesive on the contacts can stuff things up.

That raises a possibility, if you had leakage the contacts could be dirty clean with a soft cloth and a bit of cleaning solution. I use Metho. You might be lucky

A print head can blow a jet if there is no cooling ink available or clog if left dry.

I make it a point of filling when the carts reach 50%. which I think is a good safety margin
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:22 AM   #3

Welcome to the world of refilling... Just as a primer, it's well worth you taking some time out on nifty-stuff.com forums and look for various tips on refilling Canon cartridges as there's a LOT of information there the community are focused more on that side of things.

For all that, a few tips to keep you going..

1. Sealing the exit port:
- Try using the original orange plastic covers that came with the cartridge.. (Helps to tape or use rubber bands to hold them in place)

- Electricians taps stretched tightly over the exit port and securely stuck to the sides of the cartridge also provide a good seal.

As for the refill and other holes... The reason you can drill into the sponge and leave it open is that the sponge attenuates any air seepage that would normally just allow the ink to flow out. As a rule I personally seal all holes I created myself..

You do need to remember to leave the vent hole unsealed though so avoid drilling anywhere near the little matrix of cuts and holes in the cartridge top.

Like I said though check nifty-stuff they have a slew of refilling tips for Canon carts..

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:12 PM   #4

Hi Websnail and Teddy Bear,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I got my ink from MIS. When I checked in with them about the unrecognized black cartridge, they confirmed that once the cartridge goes dry, it cannot be refilled. The chip wins, again.

I purchased a new PGI-5BK and everything worked fine.

Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:10 AM   #5

As far as sealing, hot melt works great and does not leak provided the position is cleaned prior to use.

I refill inktanks where the refill position is down amd it works for me
Teddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

Just an update. The refilled cartridges are working fine.

I've asked my wife (who uses the printer) to print a photo quality image with the refill ink and compare it to a photo she printed before I did the refill.

She hasn't found time to do this. This should tell you something about the need for quality printing around my house. The printer seems to be used primarily for printing webpages and email.

About mid-week, the printer refused to print because the magenta ink level couldn't be detected. Today, I looked at all the ink cartridges and their levels were fine. The dialog offered some warnings about not being liable for printer malfunction if the cartridge continued to be used, then demanded the 'stop/reset' button be held down for 5 seconds.

For some reason, I interpreted this to mean 'hold the little flap on the cartridge down for 5 seconds'. The 'stop/reset' button is actually on the front panel of the printer. Duh... It only took me 10 minutes to connect the dots and follow the instructions.

After accomplishing this task, the printer worked without making additional demands upon the user submitting the print request.