Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:45 AM   #1

Default HP 230 photo printer

I own the HiTi 630PS and would not trade. However, a friend purchased the HP230 and it is a great little printer. Great picture output and quality.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:18 AM   #2

the Hp 230 is about the same quality and color as the HP 130. The biggest difference is that wonderful little screen that comes with it that allows you to see all your pictures. Its bigger than you'd expect for such a small little printer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:32 AM   #3

even on their premium glossy paper.

A guy I work with had a PhotoSmart 7150 and took it back for a Canon S820. He had printed a picture and 3 days later, when it was snowing, he was outside showing the pic to someone and some stray flakes landed on the pic. He went inside and gently blotted the melted snow off of the pic to find that the ink came off of the paper and onto the paper towel. HP's answer to this was for him to either lightly coat the pic with an archival spray or egg whites. The ink came off the well dried paper and they wanted him to make it wet again? You might think that it was just the ink, but all of the newer PhotoSmart printers use the same cartridge numbers 56, 57, and 58 (one black, one a tri-color CMY, and one another tri-color light CMY). Try this: goto to Best Buy, or somewhere that will make a print off of any of the HP printers on the HP paper, lick you thumb and then rub the picture. You will have ink on you thumb.

So I tested with my Canon S800 (which uses the same ink tanks as the i950 and S830D) and Photo Paper Pro. I printed a picture and then almost immediately dipped my finger into water and let a drop fall onto the newly printed picture and let it sit for a full minute. Not one drop of ink came back up even when I tried to rub it off. All that you could see was a faint outline of where the water was. 3 hours afterwards, you really had to look hard to find the same spot.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:34 PM   #4

^^ ummm I'm sure what this is about. The whole point behind this particular printer is that it is portable. You can literally fit it inside your laptop bag along with yout laptop. Yet still produce great quality photos with a little screen on it. Please don't bash an entire brand due to one or two problems. Great printer to take out to a cabin or along on a camping trip with a power inverter and print photos with. It may not be the greatest photo printer on the market but for what it is designed to do it fills the job very well.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:53 PM   #5

Gregersonsalvage
The HP230 is a very small footprint. The little LCD panel was worth the extra money, or that is what I advised my friend. It is only about 40% of the footprint of my HiTi 630PS.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:13 AM   #6

I'm not really bashing the brand, just pointing out a major concern. But, for about the same money a person with a Canon camera that supports Direct Print could buy the i70 and have the option to print full-bleed 8.5x11 images, rather than be limited to 4x6.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:25 AM   #7

Water and inkjet prints do not always mix. The HiTi 630ps prints have a coating that make them water proof. I have run a steady stream of water over a print and then rubbed it dry and no smearing. Does the I70 have editing capability? What really is amazing is the quality of the prints of these portable photo printers.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:28 PM   #8

Th i70 is cool but it won't last much more than about 20 prints before you need another tank. The HP 230 only needs one tank and it will last 100-120 prints. Granted its only 4x6 but I've seen the quality on both. The i70 does'nt have a screen on it thus you must have a computer to do prints. The great thing about the HP 230 is that it fills a market that no one else can. You can pack it away in your golf bag take pictures on the golf course during the game and view zoom and crop them at the club house without ever having to hook up to a computer.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:10 AM   #9

I bought my wife the HP130 and she loves it, we will be taking it on vacation this Aug along with my Nikon 2500.
She has printed about 60 pictures so far and athough it prints great pictures, the "cartridge" icon is flashing, guess we will have to buy a new cartridge for it before we go.
I ordered cartridges for my old HP722c last week from inkcarts.com but they do not have the HP130 cartridges (too new they said)
So we will have to buy HP carts for now.
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:03 PM   #10

Bill

The mfr secret is fill the cartridge that comes with printer only half full. The replacement cartridges is where they make the money. The 230 and 130 use the same engine for printing. The 230 had upgrades with a viewable lcd panel and the ability to edit pics from the lcd.