Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:21 PM   #1

Default i950 - printing inconsistencies or bad paper?

Hi,

I just bought Canon i950 and tested it over the weekend. Got some absolutely great pictures when printed on Canon Photo Paper Pro (there were 5 4"x6" sheets included with the package). Absolutely brilliant colour reproduction and saturation. I was extatic. Until I did some more printing. Kodak paper was just awful - huge grain! OK - I read messages posted on this group - this is my last time I experimented with Kodak on i950 :-) However, I also ran a batch job of 50 4"x6" prints on Canon Photo Paper Plus.

At first glance, looked OK, but not quite right. I did not know what, but the feeling was not too good. And than I started to compare. First: same pictures printed on Pro vs. Photo Plus. Pro - brilliant; Photo Plus - just a hint of dull, kind of dirty greenish tint. Especially visible in skin tones. Not much but enough to throw me off balance. Second: I printed same shot 5 times in a row on Photo Plus. Comapring all 5 prints I noticed colour differences. Some of them had more of this dirty greenish hue, some less. Especially visible on skin and in pitch black areas which became kind of black with dirt greenish tint. Now I am seriously questioning either my printer, or quality of the paper. BTW. I was not using any sophisticated s/w, just Easy Print s/w included with printer. No adjustments - just specify what kind of Canon paper I use.

Any suggestions?
- is Canon Photo Paper Plus (glossy) inconsistent? Is it possible that two prints done twice in a row will have slightly different color cast?
- did anybody noticed this slight dirty greenish hue? Can I somehow adjust printer settings to get rid of it?
- should I question the printer quality? My Photo Paper Pro sample was not big enough (just 5 sheets) to double check if I do not have inconsistency with this paper as well. I will certainly do some more experiments tonight, after I buy a big pack.

Any help is appreciated.

Mirek.
mlawczys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:25 PM   #2

I'd expect the canon glossy plus paper to be consistent but because of the fact its cheap I'm sure thier proccess of producing it is also cheap thus I'm not sure how thier quality control is on that paper. The pro paper is about 3 times the price thus is better be good. If you want to try something kinda in between the prices of the Pro Paper and the Glossy Plus Try out the Epson Premium Glossy paper. Set your printer to Pro paper when printing on it. It should get you consistent colors and a very similar colro print to the Canon pro paper.

Go to buy.com and search for "Epson Premium" I think its like 15 bucks shipped to your door for a 50 pack of 4x6 paper.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:41 PM   #3

I haven't noticed any hue on mine. I've printed about 20 I guess on the same paper. I read somewhere to check the cartridges to make sure they stay seated. Almost sounds like you maybe aren't getting quite enough pm or magenta. Did either of these pop up or somehow become unseated? I can't get to my driver stuff from the ezprint program but you can if you go to start>settings>printers, right click on your printer and select properties. Run the nozzle check and setup again see if it doesn't clear it up.It's under the maintenance tab. Make sure nothing is checked in the effects tab.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:28 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies guys.

I did have a chance to test a batch of Canon Pro tonight - 20 sheets testing and comparing with previous batch of "greenish" Glossy Photo Plus. I am relieved to report that Pro prints are brilliant and consistent! Print after print. I guess printer is OK. Maybe my batch of Plus paper was defficient. I will get another one and try again, but for future will probably stick with (very expensive) Pro. I also bought Epson Premium Glossy - as recommended by you - will test tomorrow. Funny thing though - it says: "This media is manufactured for use with EPSON ink jet printers only. Using this paper with other printers or copiers may cause hardware damage". Weird.

Under test craze, I also tried Professional Glossy Photo Paper from Business Depot. Horrible! Ink sploches all over the place! I used Canon Easy Photo program and tried both Pro and Glossy Plus settings. Hmm..
mlawczys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:19 PM   #5

I noticed a color difference if I print from paint shop pro. I did one print from ezprint software and the same through paint shop pro. The easy print looked great and the psp one almost looked like a blue tint or a cool look. Does the ezprint color balance or anything by default? The photo I printed was not edited just opened and printed. Does anyone know why this is? Why would the same picture print with a different tone from different programs? I like psp but have never liked printing from it, it's kind of slow setting up to print. Maybe I'll try the qimage although I'm quite happy with ezprint.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawczys
Thank you for your replies guys.

I also bought Epson Premium Glossy - as recommended by you - will test tomorrow. Funny thing though - it says: "This media is manufactured for use with EPSON ink jet printers only. Using this paper with other printers or copiers may cause hardware damage". Weird.

settings. Hmm..
haha thats funny that they would'nt want someone using paper for another printer. I think its cause Epson makes far more money on the ink than the paper.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote