Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:56 AM   #1

hi everyone, i want to print a greyscale document, but my colour inks have run out.The printer says i must change them, but i still have lots of Black. How can i get aroundthe message saying to change the inks. Any thoughts before i pull out my hair??
in_lucem_profero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:26 PM   #2
JSR

in_lucem_profero wrote:
Quote:
hi everyone, i want to print a greyscale document, but my colour inks have run out.The printer says i must change them, but i still have lots of Black. How can i get aroundthe message saying to change the inks. Any thoughts before i pull out my hair??
Unless you want to risk ruining the printhead, you can't. Most inkjet printers won't run if one of the inks is empty because it risks damaging the printhead - a small amount of ink is used for maintenance, and most greyscale documents use colour ink to improve quality. If the printer has a permanent printhead (as, for example, Epsons do), that'd be an expensive repair bill if/when the heads get damaged in this way.

Best to just replace the empty inks to be safe. If you do a lot of black/grey only printing, it might be worth investing in a cheap mono laser printer.

If your printer is an Epson printer, one risky option is to use the SSC Service Utility (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml) if it supports your printer. This can reset theink monitor and con the printer into thinking you've replaced the ink cartridges, and this should let you print again. The likelihood is that if you run the printer with empty cartridges (even using this method), you will soon damage the printhead. It's up to your own conscience if you wish torisk this. Don't expect Epson to honour any warranties if you do.
JSR is offline   Reply With Quote