Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 4, 2006, 5:50 AM   #1

I'm interested in the new Canon MP600 but I'm concerned about duplex printing quality and cartirdge use since the problems with other Canon printers were reported here. Has anyone had any experience with the new printer?

Thanks

Bob
bobbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2006, 9:34 PM   #2

I purchased the Canon MP600. Nice machine. When it comes to duplex printing, the only thing I would recommend is not using cheap 20lbs copy paper. Use 24lbs printer paper. 22lbs is okay, but stick with 24lbs paper for duplex printing. I say this because ink soaks into the paper and having the thinner paper while printing on both sides can cause issues.

Let me save you some $$ on the machine. Staples has it on sale this week for $179.98. Then pick up in-store the gift guide they have for an extra $20 off the machine. Plus, take a copy of this week's Best Buy ad in with has the CLI-8 combo pack advertised on sale for $49.99. I think Staples sells it in-store for $52.99. Have them do the 110% price match on it.
mediatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:28 PM   #3

bobbd wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested in the new Canon MP600 but I'm concerned about duplex printing quality and cartirdge use since the problems with other Canon printers were reported here. Has anyone had any experience with the new printer?

Thanks

Bob
Sadly the wise people at Canon decided to use a lighter composite black so the quality of the auto-duplexing is such that I don't use the feature at all. Since I use Word 2007 I use manual duplexing and just do all the odd numbers first and then flip the stack and start over agian and print the evens. It is a lot faster then the auto-duplexing feature.

I can't say if the MP600 is any different but I somehow doubt that they changed it. I would prefer that text documents use only pigment black ink and not the black composite.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:52 PM   #4

I have the MP830 and the quality of the duplex printing is good when Print Quality is set to High, possibly even Standard for some. Anything below and it looks like Draft Mode quality. The other downsides are duplex mode uses more ink (blend of multiple colors to get black / greyscale) and it takes longer than some would like.

I think the the duplex printing is fine for personal use or casual business use where quality of the print is less a consideration than ease of use. But, I would not want to duplex print often because it would cost more due to the use of composite black.

See if you can try the MP600 duplex printing at the store before you purchase. Regardless, you can always print one side first then manually flip the pages over and print the opposite side. You will then use only the pigment black ink and it may even be a little bit faster for larger jobs.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote