Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 7, 2006, 8:06 AM   #1

well after a reinstall of X64 itried to put my printer in, turned it on and as topic green light comes on for a few seconds , print head moves then red lights come on flash quite quicklyand green goes off. then all comms between pc and printer are gone (usb)

the printer hardly gets used and the last ink levels were 3/4 full, inside the printer looks like new all pads look clean only thing i can think is the cartridges are the origional ones i got when it was new, must be a few years old , can any one shed some light on this, please ,

i dont think i need the drain mod as i cant see me using that much ink

Thanks

steve
ryoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

Quote:
well after a reinstall of X64
Before you do anything else, see if you can try the printer on another computer.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:23 AM   #3

thanks ill have a go on my daughters pc and let you know thats just got normal xp on

Steve
Old Oct 8, 2006, 9:31 AM   #4

no still the same

i have a set of ink cartridges for the printer do you think it could be them that have either tried up or befome out of date?

Steve
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:29 PM   #5

I doubt it's the cartridges -- the printer wouldn't know if they've dried out or not, it would still go through the motion of printing and I don't think it keeps count of the time carts have been installed.

It might, however, be the chip contacts -- try lifting the carts and re-seating them, perhaps give the contacts on the carts a wipe over (if you do the same to the ones in the printer be super careful -- they're easily bent out of shape and hell's delight to fix.)

I doubt it's actually lost communication with the computer -- the driver software should warn you if that happens, but it wouldn't hurt to try another cable if you have access to one.

Also look carefully for anything that may be obstructing either the print head or paper path, and make sure the CD tray is properly closed.

The flashing lights are an error message, the sequence and frequency are the code that points to what the firmware thinks is wrong (it isn't always accurate.)

If none of the above works, post back and I'll find the codes for you (they're in this forum somewhere as well, but I forget where.)

Edit: I distinctly said "h ell's delight" -- not "heck's delight" -- political correctness is a wonderful thing...

Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:56 AM   #6

no nothing works

right by the looks this is what it does

turn it on. print head moved over the pad and the rubber flappy thing cleaning all the inks, then moves to the full left then back to origional position, all ink colours matching up,

power light goes off and the 2 red lights flash quite quickly maybe4 or5 times per second together and power light goes off

thanks, Steve

Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:18 AM   #7

I take it you're seeing the "fast blink" -- both the ink out and paper out lights blinking at 1/10th second intervals, power light off.

From the R200/220 service manual:

"Fatal error

This error is detected when:

1: Carriage unit cannot move correctly by the external force in each direction.

2: PF Motor (that's "paper feed motor") cannot rotate correctly while PF Motor operates."

What it means is that one or the other of these motors is sensing an overload, signalling a "fatal error" and shutting down to protect itself from burnout or the circuit from damage.

In your case I'd say it's probably the carriage motor that's shutting it down.

It may be the motor itself, the gear train, a faulty sensor, something jammed in the works (underneath the carriage where you can't see, perhaps?) or merely a physical obstruction somewhere along the carriage path.

You might also try cleaning off the carriage guide rail and re-lubricating -- it doesn't take much resistance for the overload sensor to kick in.

You can use a light sewing machine oil, gun oil, a silicon lubricant -- I've used the oil sold for air tools and it's worked OK (Epson use a special lube that's rather hard to come by.)

Whatever you use, don't overdo it -- just a light coating applied with a tissue or something is enough.

There's also a clear tape just above the drive belt that acts as a positioning sensor -- this and/or its pickup might need cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:13 PM   #8

thanks for your reply, i have some gun oil , put a slight coating on the silver rod and cleaned the clear strip, but im still getting the red errors.

i think im just going to hit it with a big hammer

thanks

Steve
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:50 AM   #9

Hi you already helped me before with the little tank outside that works fantastic.

I have another problem. I have been using compatible cartridges for years.Yesterday I have changed a yellow one and the R200 tell me that the cartridge is not original and doesn't let me print anymore. I get the red ink light on and that's it. With PC on or off.

Help

erica@ericanewman.com
spesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 2:48 AM   #10

Probably your new cartridge has a different chip to those you've been using.

You might be able to get around it with the SSC utility -- not sure, for I haven't had to try.

You could also try uninstalling the Epson Status Monitor