Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:04 PM   #1

Powered on the MP830. Was burning a DVD at the time I turned the power on. Temperature about 68F. Last time the printer was on was 4 days ago. Only have used OEM ink cartridges. Modified for printing CD/DVD's but no other mods.

Received an error message about more than 1 of same ink cartridges installed with the Cyan being the culprit. I opened the lid, partially removed then re-inserted the Cyan cartridge, closed the lid and received another error message (can't recall what it said!!!). I powered off then onand all is well again.

A jpg of the ink levels is attached. The Cyan cartridge is brand new, used for about 5 DVD's worth of printing. Maybe some of these chips have poor quality control.

Attached Images

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2

Was merrily printing on CD and DVD's when I received the same error again with the Cyan cartridge - more than one installed. Popped the cartridge out halfway to break the contact with the printer and then popped it back in and no more errors for the rest of the session of printing (on CD and DVD's).

Either this new OEMCyan cartridge chip is crap, one or more of the other OEM chipped cartridges are crap, the printer firmware is crap, the printer itself is crap, the USB cable and/or port is crapor the rest of my computer is crap. Given the issues others report with their printers, I'll lay wages it's a Canon issue.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:46 AM   #3

This error is caused by faulty chips - it is not uncommon and can happen before or after the chip has been disabled. A good example of Canon getting too cute and smart with these stupid unnecessary chips, the only solution is to change the cartridge. In some cases itmay be caused by the sensor unit on the printhead not recognizing the chip, great if the printer is out of warranty
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:18 AM   #4

Called Canon technical support. Tried to reproduce the error by printing out a few imageswith the tech on the phone but could not (of course). His thoughts were a bad cartridge, either the cyan or another. Said to call backif error occurs again. I have a feeling it will happen again.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 4:20 PM   #5

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
Called Canon technical support. Tried to reproduce the error by printing out a few imageswith the tech on the phone but could not (of course). His thoughts were a bad cartridge, either the cyan or another. Said to call backif error occurs again. I have a feeling it will happen again.
Most likely... I've heard** that you when you do a chip transfer to a set of 3rd party carts that you can put the chips on any of the cartridges and not worry about colour to colour specific transfer. It's only when you add a new cartridge in the system that it's likely to throw up the error you've seen.

At a guess someone at Canon got the chips mixed up and you got a cartridge with the wrong chip on it..

Taking this a little further I've noticed that the cartridges have different numbered chips even between colours, there seems to be little or no correlation so it could just be that Canon have created a slew of chips and you just picked a bad combo.. weird and not entirely likely but hey, conspiracy theories abound.. I'll see you on the Grassy knowle
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:48 AM   #6

Excellent theorizing.

The cartridge errored out again giving error U150. I was in a rushand didn'tcall Canon but I am sure it will happen again and I'll get around to calling them then.

I like the idea that Canon's own mistakes will lead them faster to change their policies, and it should! The chip is not only increasing consumer costs but consumer headaches when it malfunctions.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7

Update:

Canon Tech Support sent me a new Cyan ink cartridge which has performed flawlessly. No more error messages, so, the chip on the old catridge was bad.

Canon Tech Support was professional, courteous and rapidly sent out a new cartridge without hassle.

Good job Canon!