Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:52 PM   #1

has anybody tried the new hi def printers from epson .the r260,r380, and the rx580 .please share any thoughts .thanks
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2

I have the R260 and am quite happy with it. I did a mini-review in an earlier post and I don't have much to add. The ink dries extremely fast on both gloss photo paper and either white or silver CDs, and doesn't appear to smudge. Ink usage is probably high due to the apparent head cleaning upon start-up which I think is similar to the R200/220. I've probably printed about 25-30 CDs (full color) and as many 4 x 6 prints and I've used about 50% of all colors except yellow (75%). The print quality in my opinion is very high quality. The ink cartridge replacements are ~$15 per color, and I think Amazon will be selling a kit of all 6 cartridges (5 color plus b/w) for about $70. It's my first photo printer, so I don't have extensive experience for comparison, but for the price I'm quite satisfied.
Cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3

Having just bought the r380, at first I was thrilled at the picture quality. Epson speeds are generally a little slower than the rest. I didn't find any 4x6 prints coming out in less than 40 seconds. This was not a problem, the problem is the incredible amount of ink this printer uses. (12) 8x10 photo prints, and the light magenta was gone. ( this is with brand new epson supplied cartridges). The rest of the carts were at less than 1/2. I did not perform head cleans or any other high ink usage program. At this rate of usage, based on $14 per cartridge ink, it would cost me about $5.00 per picture for ink. I have other Epson printers, and find them to be dependable, and good photo printers.
Using this R380 brings no joy to Mudville, sadly it is going back...
canopyroadpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:23 AM   #4

canopyroadpics wrote:
Quote:
This was not a problem, the problem is the incredible amount of ink this printer uses. (12) 8x10 photo prints, and the light magenta was gone. ( this is with brand new epson supplied cartridges).

Something to keep in mind with inkjets is that the ink tanks that come with the printer are the ones used to initially prime the system. This uses a lot of ink. Before you judge the amount of ink that a printer uses, you may want to wait until you replace them with new tanks.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 6:24 PM   #5

i bought the r260 and really like it. it replaces the r320. i had to play around with different settings till i found the one i like best .i am going to use it only for pictures. i haven't had any problems with ink useage even tho i have printed a lot of pictures. for $99.99 on sale it has been a really good deal .
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:14 PM   #6

headhunter66 wrote:
Quote:
canopyroadpics wrote:
Quote:
This was not a problem, the problem is the incredible amount of ink this printer uses. (12) 8x10 photo prints, and the light magenta was gone. ( this is with brand new epson supplied cartridges).

Something to keep in mind with inkjets is that the ink tanks that come with the printer are the ones used to initially prime the system. This uses a lot of ink. Before you judge the amount of ink that a printer uses, you may want to wait until you replace them with new tanks.

Dave
Unless they are crappy starter carts there is no reason it should be out of ink after 12 photos. That is totally inefficient and a waste of ink. This is the BIG con against Epson.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7
lrb

:sad:I bought the RX580 a couple of weeks ago to print 4x6 proofs for weddings. After printing about 200 4x6's, I've replaced 4 of the cartridges once, and 2 twice. At $15 per cart, it works out to almost $1 for each 4x6 print (5x$15 + 1x$17 = $92 + tax ~$100 for 100 prints). The carts weighed 28 grams before printing and 22 grams after for an ink usage of 6g or about 6ml (1/4 oz). Therefore this ink is about $60/oz or ~$1000/lb. The ink for my epson 4000 is $45 per cartridge - but that gets you 110 ml that goes a long way. I can get 4x6 prints at Sam's club for $0.13 ea ($0.11 mail order), almost 10X cheaper. This printer is probably going back even though it makes good prints.
lrb is offline   Reply With Quote