Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to Print purple and the prints come out pink. I'm useing two printersa Canon IP 6600d and an Epson r1800. I printed from Photoshop and several other programs and all print the same. I just calibrated my monitor and still having same problem.Adobe gamma is not installed. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get my printers to print purple. Any advice would be much apreciated.
Much Thanks
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:49 PM   #2

I can't lay any claims to being a guru in this area, but I think it's probably a printer-to-screen calibration issue.

Both printers should be able to get pretty close to what you see on-screen (as, indeed, can my cheapie R310 if it's sent the right instructions), but purple has always been a problem for inkjets, probably because of the materials they have to work with and the number of variables involved in transferring an image from, for instance, a digital camera image to a printed page.

It's an area where the results you get depend not only on your system but also on your level of expertise and/or how much money you're prepared to throw at it -- you can spend heaps on printer profiles, change to another ink or paper and have to do it all over again...

A good place to start learning from might be this page:

http://www.normankoren.com/printer_calibration.html

There's also quite a good printer forum on dpreview, and there are several lists for both Epson and Canon printers that it might pay you to seek out.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the post Idle I will need some time to read and absorbe this but anthing will help. This is the photo I'm trying to print and get pink and not purple. If you don't mind will you print it out and let me know what colors you get from monitor to your printer. Many thanks Jim

BTW I checked out dpreview and they also said it is very hard to print purple on inkjets

I will try anything as long that it does not cost me a furtune trying to get one color right. Once again thanks for the post
Attached Images

87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 11:42 PM   #4

Sorry, wrong image, having trouble getting the print size under 250K -- will post again later.

Colour match isn't bad, though
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:30 AM   #5

This one might work.

Note it's a scan of a print to plain paper -- glossy photo paper would come up better

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:23 AM   #6

Did another one on a scrap of glossy paper -- printed on Epson R310, scanned to PS CS2 from Epson 4990 flatbed.

I think it got reasonably close, considering no PP was done.

Note you can now see some of the background, so the process did change the original a bit.

Flowers look like one of the Gazania family?
Attached Images