Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:56 PM   #1

Default Any reason NOT to get an Epson 2200?

My Epson 1200 is either dying or already dead, thanks in part to my trying to mess with its innards (The estimate for repairs I get tomorrow will tell me if I have to pull the plug...)

I have been reading good things about the 2200, which would probably be the printer I get if I have to shoot the 1200.

Is there anyone who has been using it who wishes they had not bought it? How bad is the metamerism (shift in color, in different light?)

I also can't figure out if you can get borderless prints on the 2200.

Also, the specs say the largest paper is 13X44". Is that true, or can you make a custom size that will print 13 wide by any lenght you want to cut from the roll paper?
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2003, 2:03 AM   #2

Metarism only only slightly prevalent in Premium glossy and regular glossy papers. Switch over to semiglossy and Luster its really something you'd have to look for under certian types of printing conditions to see it.

The 2200 can do borderless on all standard print sizes and yes it can do borderless 13 inch wide up to 44 inches whatever your custom length is set to.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 6:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear that you like the printer. I could kick myself because about a year ago, CompUSA was giving away a $100 gift card with the printer. But if my 1200 turns out to be too expensive to fix, I'll go with the 2200.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 7:30 AM   #4

the 2200 is a beautiful thing. it produces images better then i thought possible.

borderless prints are a snap on it.

if you get one go right to the epson website and update the drivers and interface. much easier and self explanitory. it does some nifty little things too like if you continuously print one size it will estimate how many prints you'll get out of the remaining ink supply using the same amt of ink as the last print.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:16 AM   #5

The Epson Store sells refurbished 2200s for $549 including a free cable and US ground shipping.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks, SJMS.

Wildman: Do you think there is a downside to getting a refurbished 2200?
Old Jun 14, 2003, 12:54 PM   #7

As long as it includes the same warranty as a new 2200 it should'nt be any different than a new one since most that are refurbished are only used less than a week before they have problems due to a factory defect. Thats also about the price Epson reps get em for.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 5:05 PM   #8

I've bought two refurbs from the Epson Store, an 850 and a 1270. Both are still in operation and working great. Of course, a random sample of two is a little statistically insignificant :P
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote