Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:45 AM   #1

Looking for something that does NOT have to be plugged into a computer. With all your help, I will be buying my new camera today at some point. Now I would like a nice, high quality (but not extremely expensive) photo printer, that does not have to be hooked up to a computer.

Any suggestions?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

If you want to print just 4x6 then get the Canon or Kodak series dye sublimation prints. They last much longer than ink prints, water resistant, and don't need a drying time. If you need larger prints, look for one that has "pict bridge" in it. Its a software that's in the printer to communicate with the camera. The camera needs to have this also. The other way is if there is a memory card reader on the printer, but you will need an LCD on the printer to see which pic to print. As for brands, the Canon's and HP usually are good quality >$140. The Epsons have nice printers at the high end.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3

And these are portable and don't require a connection to the computer?
JohnnyNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:44 PM   #4

Yes. They either use the memory card reader and an LCD to choose the photos or they use PicBridge to communicate with the camera and use the LCD on the camera.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:15 PM   #5

I've got the HP version (I found it cheap) and while it prints nice pictures, the inks aren't water resistant at all. I'd much prefer one of the dye sub printers.

I noticed you had another thread asking about dSLRs. You should keep a few things in mind about these printers is that they only (usually) read jpeg files, meaning you can't shoot raw and print them directly. Also, they have very limited photo editing capabilities, and sometimes dSLRs have less in-camera processing, meaning that you'll really benefit from the computer processing of the photos. However dSLRs also usually have various auto modes that do a good job of processing, so you should probably be okay.

I guess the big take away from this should be to match your camera and printer capabilities if you want a good portable printing solution. If you throw a laptop into the mix, then you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote