Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:38 PM   #1

Default Canon S820 or i850 or ... ?

I am looking for an inexpensive photo printer. After being very impressed with Canon products (a G2 and an i950), I turned to Canon once again for another printer.

Do either of these printers (S820, i850) do borderless 8x10 photos?

For printing photos, would one of these be better?

I was thinking the S820 with 6 colors would be better, but I have read excellent reviews for the i850.

Any recommendations? Should I also consider another brand?

Thanks!
hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:15 PM   #2

Both the i850 and the S820 print borderless 8.5x11. The difference is that the i850 is a good all around printer for photos and text for about $150. If you are not so concerned about text, I have seen the S820 (which is slower, but will still put out a 4x6 in under or about 1 minute) for about $100 at Staples.and produces more even skin tones because of the 2 additional inks.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:32 PM   #3

I print 8 X 10 broderless prints on my Epson 1270 and 850... I use 8 1/2 X 11 photo paper and crop off the border with a paper cutter... 8 X 10 paper might be hard to find (can't say I've ever seen it). Get a program that will let you place multiple prints on a single page. There are free ones on the Web.

Everyone has favorite printers. I favor Epsons. Other folks wouldn't have one in the house. I'll admit Epsons have a history of clogging problems. You have to use them frequently or problems are almost guaranteed. 3rd party ink is cheap and plentiful for Epsons. I recently bought two six color and two black cartridges for my Epson 1270 for $37. I bought 200 sheets of Epson Heavyweight Matte 8 X 10 for $26. This makes producing good quality prints pretty inexpensive. The cost of ink will far out-run the cost of the printer in the first year of use.

I would suggest a six color printer of whatever brand you select. I like the quality and durability of HPs, but their ink is very expensive (no 3rd party ink available because the print head is included with the cartridge).

Canon makes great cameras (I'm on my second one) and their printers are highly regarded. I have no experience with their printers.

Paper is an issue also. I like Epson Heavyweight Matte paper. Other folks hate the look. I recently received a sample pack of photo paper from Red River and so far the results have been impressive.

You mentioned "inexpensive printers". Remember that inexpensive to run and inexpensive to buy might be two different things.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 3:26 PM   #4

Actually Epson sells a premium glossy 8x10 photo paper you can use.

But the Canon does not support 8x10 sized printing.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2003, 9:14 AM   #5

officially not but there are programs which support this format and you can print from them.
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote