Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:50 PM   #1

Hello, i am a newbie in digital photography and i own a10Mp Sony DSC-R1. I would like to print the beautiful photographs it takes in an A3/A3+ size (13x19), keeping the maximum photo quality andbeing sure my photographs still look really good even when my 2 years child has become an adult. Can someone among you suggest a good printer that matches these requirements?

- Lab-quality printouts up to 13x19;

- Stand-alone printing capabilities (i.e. able to print directly from my DSC-R1 without a computer, possibly "pictbridge"), VERY IMPORTANT - even without an lcd display;

- Long-lasting printouts (framedand keptin daylight), no less than 30 years;

- Possibly waterproof printouts (i guess it to be very difficult for inkjet printers, so i can live without);

- Affordable price (say $500 shelves price).

I have heard good things about 3 printers: HP 8750, Canon i9900 and Epson R1800 (maybe the last not stand-alone?), but in my town i can't test them and i don't know wich one could be best for my needs; also, i don't know if thereis any other model that would be more appropriate for me. Please, can someone help me?

Thank you in advance for your kindness.
Luca72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Staples (in-store only) has HP 8750 on clearence for $229. Although it is not the latest and greatest, the price is right.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:46 PM   #3
JPL

First of all, you might post your question in the "wide carriage inkjet" forum for additional replys.

May I ask why stand alone is "very important".

Eventually a computer is going to be needed.

When you want a picture to last a long timeyou want to make sure that the image is perfect. Sometimes you need to re-touch it using a photo editor.

Also,you want to upload the images from your camera small memory card to your computer hard drive to archive it.

If you want a "quick" look at an image, I would suggest a regular 8.5x11 photo printer that cost under $200.

You may want to expand your list to the newer HP Photosmart B9180 and Canon PIXMA Pro9000.

Pigment based inkjet printers (Epson R1800 and HP B9180) will provide you with water resistant prints.

Alsopigment based inkjetsprovide archival quality prints. Check out http://www.wilhelm-research.com
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:50 PM   #4

Thank you very much, your suggestions are very handful for me! But i REALLY need stand-alone capabilities, because the printer should be used very often by my wife, that is completely unable to use a computer. She doesn't need post processing, as she is used to analog photography where you have to think to the result BEFORE you shoot. She did a lot of beautiful pictures in the past just printing the actual shot from her camera as it was, so why cuoldn't she make the same thing with a digital camera?

I already own a 4x6 dye-sub printer, so i don't need to "take a look" to my photos, but just to print them on a 13x19 sheet with very good quality and for years.

Actually, i find the 2 printers you suggest me very interesting, but if i understand well the specifications they don't have stand alone capabilities, so they're not good for my needs. Anyway thank you very much, as i didn't know about them!
Luca72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:46 PM   #5
JPL

The HP 8750, Canon i9900and CanonPro9000 are the only ones that will meet your requirements. All 3 have PicBridge features. The HP8750 also has the memory card feature.

The HP uses 3 tri-color ink cartridges. Canon uses individual cartridges. The main advantage to individual cartridges is that you only replace the ones that runs out.

Sincethe HP and Canon i9900 printers are last years model, you should be able to buy it ata good price.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:30 PM   #6

Hi Luca,

You can't go wrong with an Espon 1280 if you want 13x19
"SuperB" size. Tho they are dye based inks, they last a
long time on Epson paper, are water resistant, and only
2 carts to buy! (colour and black)

Resolution on Epson stock is often better than the Epson
PRO printers with this old dinosaur printer.

I used maybe *300* T009 colour carts with the 1270/1280
printers. I've got a brand new 1280 unused in the box
as a backup (and may never open after being spoiled
with my Pro 4800...).

Ordering only 2 different ink carts is a joy.

Wayne.
Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:25 PM   #7
JPL

Luca72,

You should find a local store that carries these printers and take your camera and print some pictures.

I'm really interested in finding out how long it takes to print a 13x19 photo directly from a camera connection. Typically from a computer it would take 5-10 minutes.

I don't think a camera has the processing power to feed the printer with the photo image quick enough. Also, I assume that the camera battery is going to drain very quickly.

Please let us know the results.