Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:04 PM   #1

Have a year old IP3000 that is using Media Street Pigmented Black and CMY refillable cartridges. Color photos have been excellent in High mode but whenever I print something in draft color I'm getting uniform banding at about 1/8 inch intervals. See it when I print black but its pretty faint. When I doa print head test I'm getting some banding in the black, and see some faint (really faint) banding in all the colors but its not major.

Bought a flush kit from Inksavers and ran several flushes until the paper was clear. Reinstalled carts and did a few pages with no change in results. Did the next step which involved pumping solvent with the syringe and a small hose through the head, no change. Ink did shoot out of the jets including the black.

Got a couple of 6800 error messages yesterday so I reset the waste tank counter/Eprom and it went away but the service manual didn't describe a 6800 code.

So... without seeing the output would it stand to reason my printhead is shot or is it possible its something else? Is it possible that since the banding appears to be "stepped" could the printers paper advance be messing up? After the supposed flush I soaked the head in ammonia for a few hours and retried the test, no change that I could see. I like the printer and the output is great but to invest in a new head without really knowing its the head or something else is a 60 dollar risk.

I want to pop the case and clean the waste tank and paper guides but I'm not sure how the case is assembled. Anyone have an idea on the procedure? Thanks in advance.

stim141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:02 AM   #2

It could be the carts......are you refilling the same carts over and over or do you buy generic carts ?

With generic carts you never know what to expect, they can be pretty good or lousy.

Does it occur in standard mode ?

How much printing has the printer seen in the last year ?

You said that photos come out excellent in high mode which indicates that the ink flow in draft is just not enough.

PS: Draft mode is ok for text but nothing more really, that's why they call it draft mode. :lol:
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3

Carts are from MediaStreet and they've only been refilled a couple of times. Banding occurs in standard mode as well. Very noticable when just printing on plain paper. With photos in standard mode with glossy photo paper you see the banding but not in Best Mode. I was reading that in Best mode black is not used but it uses the combination of the CMY carts to print black - don't know if this is true.

May try to flush again and try a real Canon pigmented black cart to see if things improve but I'm doubtful. Almost seems like the stepping motor isn't smoothly advancing the paper as the banding really is uniformly stepped at about 1/8 inch with very distinct bands not really streaking - also faintly appears in the other colors as well.

stim141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:56 AM   #4

Banding can be caused by bad carts, clogged nozzles or by rollers that need to be cleaned or are to tight.

Most of the banding issues I've run into it's usually carts that just get old and the ink does not flow properly.

PS: Can you scan the plain paper and put up a screenshot ????

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote