Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1

I currently use film but will likely switch to digital in the next 6 to 12 months -
so I've begun to look at printers (as well as a cameras).

I've read a some reviews here and else where but still have some questions (many of
the reviews do not compare between different printers).

I'm mostly interested in 4x6 and 8x10 prints. I do not print so much that cost of
ink is a big deal.

I'm a little picky about image quality (I currently use contax c/y with film (not
slide)) but not as picky as some.

I'm leaning towards canon mp530 or mp830 but I'm unsure if the 6 (colour) ink
printers such as canon i9900 or ip6600D are significantly better. Also, is there
much different in print quality between the different brands (epson? hp?) or do
brands have 'characteristics' such as warmth image vs cool images?

I'm also not sure if I should consider a sub-dye printer - I know they are more
expensive and the images tend to last longer but is there a significant difference
in image quality? Should I consider one for 4x6 and an inkjet for 8x10?

Any suggestions/comments or specific models I should consider or avoid?

Thanks
you2.

you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:39 AM   #2

Any one - pretty please ?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

The 530 and 830 are great All in Ones and NO the i9900 and ip6600 won't be significantly better. They may offer subtle differences which some photophiles are looking for but not a huge leap.

The i9900 is an aging model now and replaced by the new pro models. They are pretty expensive still.

The ip6600 is slower at everything and is intended for the photophile more then the 530 or 830, also it doesn't have a large text black ink tank so it's not intended for high volume text printing.

If you can afford it the MP830 is the great and if your willing to live without the ADF the MP600 can be bought TODAY ONLY for $137.99 at Fry's. That's a bargain !!!

Hurry to Fry's to see if you can get a deal.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

No fry near here but I can get the 830 (today only) for $219 shipped from newegg.

is it worth considering hp or epson in inkjet arena ?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:40 PM   #5

you2 wrote:
Quote:
No fry near here but I can get the 830 (today only) for $219 shipped from newegg.

is it worth considering hp or epson in inkjet arena ?
I have the Canon MP830 and am quite pleased with its output. As an All-In-One it does a very nice job with all functions. You can get separate single function peripherals, such as just a printer or just a scanner, that will be better but it's hard to beat the price you quoted for all the things that the MP830 does. In the USA the printer is able toprint CD/DVD's but requires 10-15 minutes of time to ready the unit and you will have to purchase a CD/DVD tray from eBay. The MP830 is ready to print CD/DVD no muss, no fuss everywhere else in the world. You can use aftermarket ink cartridges and ink but due to the chipped Canon ink cartridges you will void your warranty and must watch ink levels in the cartridges since the printer will no longer recognize low/empty cartridges.

Some things to consider are whether you want a negative film strip scanner ability, need a 6 color ink printer, want native CD/DVD printing capability out of the box without any further effort, need a better scanner, want to use aftermarket ink/ink cartridges more easily, then you might want to look for something else.

Some things to keep in mind is that Canon seems to have the best economy concerning OEM inkprice value over Epson and HP. I have read numerous times that HP has the highest consumable costs. Epson seems to do a lot of cleaning cycles that waste ink compared to Canon. All three manufacturers can produce excellent output.

I gave my nephew an Epson R220 and he loves the output.

If possible, go to a computer store that has printers on display and make some prints. Take along a digital camera, storage card or CDwith pictures you are familiar with and try printing those out and compare. Beware that major stores will let you print a few pictures but you may have to leave the prints in the store, so no embarassing photos!
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote