Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:52 PM   #1

Default Epson 900 Questions

Just got my Epson Stylus Photo 900 and have to say the quality blows away my HP6122 that it replaced. But...

It is so slooooowww. Easily takes 10 times longer to print than the Hp. Truly. And it ties up my computer so much I can't even change pages while surfing and printing.

Am I doing something wrong? Bad setting?

Apreciate the tips.

-=Bob=-
rebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:14 AM   #2

Well it sounds like your computer is either

A) probably pretty old
B) probably has less than 256mb of memory
C) you don't have virtual memory turned on
A couple of questions to pinpoint the answer to your question.
What kind of procceessor do you have??
What operating system are you using???
How much memory is in your computer???

Also are you keeping the HP to do your text printing. It would be a good idea to do so as it is probably one of the cheapest text printers out there.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2003, 12:19 AM   #3

Interesting that the HP did not show any of these problems.

I have a PII 350, 256 MB RAM, Win 98. Virtual Memory is on.

Pure text I do on my laser. The HP is history. I got dramatically tird of the "orange peel" effect.

-=Bob=-
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:07 PM   #4

Ok, this is really becoming a prblem.

Would USB be better than parallel in any way?

Also, colors are off. Even on just printing a CD. Blues go to purple. I am burning through ink and paper and CD's trying to find the best settings for Fim Factory, Photoshop and Cd's.

A major hassle here. I don;t recall older Epsons being this difficult.

-=Bob=-
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:10 PM   #5

Yeah your computer is defintaly getting old. Almost any printer will use a little bit of cpu power but that proportion goes up alot when dealing with older CPUs. Especially with windows 98

Windows 98 is just simply a memory hog thus it will suck up your memory making your computer slow. You might want to consider either buying a new computer which you can get a bottom line computer nowdays that would be about 5 times faster than what you have now hook it up via network and transfer your old files over.

Most of your current programs will work on windows XP as well.

here is one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3744 for 300 bucks plus shipping add some more memory and youre set. Shop around cause I hate to say it I think unless you mind waiting around for your computer to do stuff its time to upgrade.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 3:16 PM   #6

another 256MB of ram would help to allow th creation of a reasonale size buffer for the image. run your OS and photo program and printerprogram plus anything running in backround and you have one real slow machine.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 3:23 AM   #7

Ok, I found the cause of the speed and lack of multitasking problem. I was set to EPP instead of ECP!!

BUT...now I have the occasional odd problem when the printer will stop printing 25 or 75% of the way through an image, then eject several sheets and finish the image on another page.

Any idea what causes this? I had only one available DMA channel and that was 1. 2 and 4 are reserved and 3 and 5 are for the soundcard.

Any ideas appreciated.

And, btw, for those thinking of this for CD's, I can say it works reasonably, but requires careful alignment. The image printed does not look as good as Photo Quality Inkjet paper and took lots of tweaking to get a decent level of saturation. I'm a bit let down. Photo glossy labels look mucgh better, but this is a better solution. I wish there were photo glossy printable CD's.

-=Bob=-
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop
And, btw, for those thinking of this for CD's, I can say it works reasonably, but requires careful alignment. The image printed does not look as good as Photo Quality Inkjet paper and took lots of tweaking to get a decent level of saturation. I'm a bit let down. Photo glossy labels look mucgh better, but this is a better solution. I wish there were photo glossy printable CD's.

-=Bob=-
There is new Cds out there on the market with a glossy side to them. Right now since the market is new they are kinda rare and hard to find. I think the only vendors who carrry them are on the east coast.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:02 PM   #9

A Google search for these shows nothing at all. But this would be a godsend.

Any info or pointers would be very appreciated,

-=Bob=-
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:51 PM   #10

I used to have problems printing large files connected to an Epson 850 via USB operating with WIN98. The computer would fail part way through a big print job. I solved the problem by disconnecting all other USB devices.

When I upgraded to XP, all the problems went away. I am printing big pictures (13 X 19's) with my Epson 12 70 with no problem now. Some of these files take a long time, but come out great without any glitches.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote