Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:08 AM   #1

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a good printer that can print directly on printable CD/DVDs, and also DVD inserts and stick-on DVD labels. Photo printing is not important as I have an Epson Expressmate that does a fabulous job on its own. A multifunction would be nice, but I don't know of any that can print directly on DVDs. Since I'll be printing DVD inserts and DVD labels, which brands are good for plain paper printing? Which one is more cost effective for refilling carts? I know a little bit about the new generation Canons with the chipped carts.. not much about the Durabrite Epsons tho. I'm looking at around the CAN $150 range, so for Canons I was looking at the IP4300 or possibly the MP510 (but I don't think the latter can print on blank DVDs). I haven't done any research on the Epsons yet but have heard of a lot of trouble with the R series models. Anyway I'd very much appreciate any input you guys can provide. Thanks!

-- Jason
wongnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 4:02 AM   #2

I don't know about in Toronto. But here in the USA I just bought a couple Canon ip4200s for $60 each from Circuit City's website, Add a Canon "print tray C" (found on ebay) another $15. So for under $150 USD, I have 2 printers (or 1 plus a backup).

Use printables, don't use stick on labels. You wouldn't drive your car with an out of balance tire at 70mph. Now think of what happens to your DVD player with a sticker that is not centered perfectly, or worse yet the adhesive loosens over time.

justintempler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:47 PM   #3

I was in the same situation as you, and I was down to two printers Canon IP4300 vs Epson Stylus Photo R230. And I ended up getting the R230 because I found it cheaper.

If you don't print photo and others, one set of ink will last you for quite a long time on CD/DVD labelling.
antony is offline   Reply With Quote